I refuse to watch Animal Planet "Tanked" show!

higorc

Call me IGOR :)
I was just scrolling down the cable guide and realized I don't like and REFUSE to watch the Tanked show :confused: Am I the only one?

I mean, I can name so many reasons they shouldn't do what they do. At best it's a HUGE gamble that the live stock in their built tanks will survive any prolonged period of time past the day they "unveil" their work to their customers...

I think if mistreat and killing of fish and corals were considered "Animal Cruelty", Tanked would be out of business.

Just thinking out-loud here...

Higor

I watched the first episode and that was it.
It just showing what you can do with money and not necessary educational or ethical way of doing it.

i cant stand that damn show i i just want to scream at them for the crap they do

I`m not gonna lie I watch it and enjoy parts. As they say beggers cant be choosers and I`m begging for any show related to our hobby, so I`ll take it.
With that said it is an awful, awful show I just like seeing them go to the different fish businesses and then seeing the finished product but everything else is garbage.
I cant speak for the well being of the inhabitants of these tanks as its a highly edited T.V show and I don't know half the stuff going on that they don't show us. For All I know they could be establishing those tanks between shots of them setting it up and then adding fish.
I doubt people would pay big big money for these tank and be unhappy with them surely ATM would be out of business if this were the case.

I've seen a couple episodes and they don't seam to put forth good effort for the hobby. Some of their work seems cartoon-like and its all wrapped up in the money and ratings. Not to mention the speed in which they are forced to get a tank ready for unveiling is unsafe for livestock. I'd be curious to know how many fish die shortly after the unveiling.

the only reason i watch it SOMETIMES is because i like seeing the fish but yea... one i hate the way their tanks look, and two its one of those shows that are over scripted so to say

I've never watched but I don't have cable. I've seen little bits but don't really care to see bubble gum machine tanks or whatever.
There's a youtube show called LA fishguy that I watch sometimes. it's jim stime's show.

It's purely a reality show, like most of the crap on TV. Take it with a grain of salt.

Reality show or not....they still killing fish, corals, inverts and sending out the wrong message. Maybe they are all fake though, what do I know.

Higor

I have Greg.

I'll search and post it here.

Are you saying they are sending good husbandry lessons? Fill your tank to the gills in 1 day and let it rip?!

No I did not say, that was a huge leap to think I was. I think they do things like most of the companies that do what they do, as well as many LFS. I think it is a lesson in why the hobby is under attack. I do know the reef keeping community crucified these guys and they did try and change how they presented the show.

But I also think the high horse reefers often take is a misguided one. As the loss of livestock on route to our tanks is huge and we support it inadvertently. That is why I support what the BRS does and the trading sales and propagation involved in that. But we all support the problems as well. There is no getting around that to a huge degree at this point, although slowly the industry, in some areas, is trying to move in a positive direction.

In the end I do not condone they way they setup and stock their tanks on the show, but I think there is room for education here in a few ways. And perhaps motivation to move in a better direction all around. Open the discussion to more of the issues and how the community can avoid supporting more of this and how by taking ownership of our part in it can help move the hobby forward.

to tell you the truth, they overstock the tank for the unveil but if you actually see the tanks in person like I have, they only has 1/5 the amount of fish remaining in the tank. Its all a shroud to keep entertainment flourishing and they remove the extra fish after the unveil.

Back