I suck at cycling! A story and some questions.

mhallstr4

Non-member
Hi Reefers,

So, I've been away from the hobby for 2-3 years due to a tank crash and general life. But man, this hobby is great and I want back in! So, in July and Aug, I happily collected all the gear for a new 25 gal Waterbox Penn. build. I decided to go for a fishless cycle / dry rock start up to avoid pests and just see if it worked.

In particular, I set out following Dr. Tim's cycling plan as outlined in this video: Features of this plan include a bottle of starter bacteria, low salinity (20-22 ppm), higher temp: 83+, lights off, and ammonia chloride drops.

On Sept 21, I began my fish-less cycle, by adding a bottle of Instant Ocean bio-spira, some ammonium chloride. For the next 2-3 weeks, I followed Tim's system (low salinity, higher temp, lights off). The cycle progressed, but didn't seem to finish to the point when ammonia, and nitrite levels were near 0 one day after adding ammonia up to 2 ppm. So, I didn't add any fish. Around Oct 13, I set my tank up to fish-keeping parameters: Salinity 32 - 33 ppm and temp at 77-78 F.

Around Oct 20, I noticed something funny happening with my tank, the water salinity was dropped to 27 ppm and the ATO was running a lot. I fixed the salinity via a water change and ignored the ATO for probably a week, and then decided to check the 5 gal water reservoir bucket. You guessed it: saltwater. The ATO and tank were siphoning / pumping back and forth constantly. That may be the root cause of my disaster. Now, I have the exit tube of the ATO zip tied to the goose neck of my LED light outside of the water. Tacky, but avoids disaster.

Since mid-Oct, I've been feeding my little bacteria tank with ammonia chloride every few days and monitoring ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels. On Friday, Nov 6, I got fed up and did a 75-85% water change determined to go the local fish store the next day, get a fish and rock and roll. On Nov 7, I took my water sample to the fish store and they simply looked at me, shook their heads, and said, "fish-less cycles don't work. Take a couple pounds of live rock and come back in a week or two." They said I could try putting in a clown, but it'd be risky. So, I purchased 1-2 lbs of beautiful choraline-algea crusted live rock, went home, and plopped it into the back overflow of my 25 gal waterbox. I also went to PetCo, got another small bottle of Bio-Spira and dumped it into the tank for good measure.

From Nov 7 - to today, I've been adding ammonia chloride every couple of days, lights off, and fish-ready salinity (33 ppm) and temp (77-78 F). I've been testing every 3 days or so and get these levels consistently: ammonia: 0.2-0.5 ppm, nitrate 50 mgL, and nitrate: 10-25 mgL. So with work off most of this week, I want to get this cycling thing over with and add a couple of baby clowns. A few hours ago, I did a 75% water change, waited a couple of hours and tested the water. I'm at ammonia 0.5 ppm, nitrate 50 mgL, and Nitrite 10 mgL. I was hoping to go to the fish store tomorrow and get some livestock, but that appears to be unwise.

So - I'm 2 months into what I thought would be a 2 week fish-less cycle and more lost and frustrated than I anticipated.

If you've read this far - thanks! Now, this ignorant newbie could use your advice.
- What am I doing wrong?
- What's next to get this tank cycled?
- Do I just need more patience?
- When is it advisable to add a fish? Do you think I can add a fish or two this week?

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions - even if it's just a word of encouragement.

What test kits are you using to check your numbers? Have you asked the LFS to double-check your results, or even asked at Petco to do a water test?

Don't listen to the LFS, you can cycle without fish. You can also cycle without live rock.

I cycled with Bio Spira and a piece of uncooked shrimp (tied it to a string and tossed it into the tank). If I recall my cycle took 3-4 weeks max.

How much rock do you have in the tank? Or other biological media?

Some people will tell you to start with a Damsel -- I'd suggest not doing that unless you really want a Damsel. They can be very aggressive.

I did the fishless cycle with Dr. Tim's and I would advise patience. Your ammonia could linger for quite a while, and I'd say it took about 3-4 weeks for my nitrite to disappear. I was well beyond what the instructions stated the timeline would be, but I would say it's more that this is a "living" process and many different variables (many mentioned above) could be at play. I also second the test kit question - for nitrite I would recommend salifert, and nitrate I'd recommend Nyos. Both cheap and easy to read.

Definitely nothing wrong with that. I always have rubble in my sump for the same purpose.
My Sump design forces 100% of the mechanically filtered water down through MarinePure Ceramic Biomedia 1 1/2” Spheres as part of my post skimmer bubble trap for the same secondary purpose

The other half wanted to fast cycle and bought the RedSea cycle starter kit. Cycled for 30 days, tested, and added 2 clown fish and an anemone. The anemone disappeared two days later (minus $$). The quick cycle did allow for fish to be added, but that tank wasn’t very stable for around 9 months.

I’ve also had some CaribSea Liferock in a new 20 gal WB and those rocks just started showing some coralline algae after 4 months. Before then there were random bacteria or algae blooms while the tank stabilized.

You can add a small fish or two to a new tank relatively soon, but from my experience you may have problems keeping and growing corals.

I recall WWC recommending to “cycle” a tank for around 9 months in one of the BRS or WWC videos.

As painful as it is waiting I highly recommend waiting the BRS 2-3 months on turning on your lights. My tank has very little nuisance algae, and no cyano, dinos, etc of the pure evil stuff. If your parameters stabilize you can basically do your tester corals when the lights go on and instantly have them competing for nutrients. It is torture looking at clowns in daylight only for weeks and weeks but it is worth it. If I could go back I'd do it even longer than I did.

I think the only fast cycle method is to get your hands on cycled rock sand or media in larger quantity from a clean source and go from there. All the while also putting the brakes on stocking too quickly, with mobile animals, that is. You can possibly help your situation by adding some, for sure.

Dr. Tim should be dragged into the public square and lashed about the head and body for making a fortune while selling mostly snake oil.

Dr. Tim should be dragged into the public square and lashed about the head and body for making a fortune while selling mostly snake oil.

Hah I have actually had good luck with it but I will say I figured out the hard way the ammonia dose on some of the packages is 4x what it is supposed to be. When my ammonia test was still blue after a week I realized the issue, tested ammonia content by the drop in 1 L of water, and realized the dose was way off. If you peruse R2R and Nano-Reef you will find people having the same issue.

Thanks y'all for all the feedback.

I have ~20lbs of rock in the tank including 2 lbs of live rock. I also added 10lb of Carib Sea live sand at the start in Sept. I've been running Salifert testing kits for all my testing. And yes, I think the ammonia choloride drops may be a bit more potent than the specified dosing on the bottle.

I took the advice of MrX and took a water sample to PetCo today for a second opinion of the water parameters. The employee said there were "all good", so I took a gamble with one small clown fish. From here, I'll keep the lights off, feed lightly ever 3rd day, plop some chemi pur in the back, and track the water parameters every 3-5 days. If all is well, I'll add another fish in Jan 2021 and flip the lights on. Then I'll test 2-3 LPS coral frags in Feb.

Slow and steady.

It feels better having something swimming in the tank. I hope I can keep him alive. My kids would be so sad if he didn't last long.

Folks on this thread may be crestfallen to read you got your water tested at Petco but I've been there. Clownfish are generally extremely resilient, should be fine if your ammonia is 0.2 (should be 0) and nitrite is low to undetectable. Monitor your nitrate because adding food / poop to the system may accelerate the cycle and you might be seeing higher nitrate output for a time which will require some water changes. I can't tell if you mean feed lighter than normal every third day or only feed every third day, but I would say give that guy some food and just monitor your nutrients.

Back