i think i got cyano or something red

sciknen

$20.00 PEOPLE, COME ON.
well a few weeks ago my returns had a little red stuff growing on them so i took them out and washed them with just ro water really well and dried them

well now its starting to show up on my koralia..kinda weird
it had liek some algea there before but now it has turned red

and i do have a lil diatom breakout i think as well no biggie

heres a pic of the koralia

100_0564.jpg

100_0563.jpg

I can honestly say, I've never seen cyano on a working powerhead. :)

I'm thinking it's that deep maroon coraline algae, too.

n nah its just a cheap digital camera i cant afford a fancy slr one day tho

If it's only in the high flow area chances are it's not cyno. IME cyno usually shows up in low flow areas and def not on powerheads.

I agree it is prob coraline algae. I have lots of that dark red/maroon coraline in my tank.

If it's only in the high flow area chances are it's not cyno. IME cyno usually shows up in low flow areas and def not on powerheads.

Mostly that is true. Tho oddly enough if I get a cyano outbreak it is usually in the high flow areas.

yea i have a bunch of turbo snails but they used to go after the power heads no more tho kinda weird

Eventually,the stuff just disappears on it's own after a while.
I had it growing righ over newly formed coralline.

i think i know too much for my own good.. i always think the worst is happening when its something small

also i have one more thing

my starfish died??
i think it crapped itself to death
like it was crapping for 2 days and then like sunk to the bottom of the tank and rolled over on its back
and then i put it in the QT and never moved again???

Yeah,
If it's cotton candy algae the best thing to do and find a snail that likes the taste of it.

Huh,did you feed it a burito lately?:p
Sea stars need a lot of time to adjust to water conditions.I've read many articles that suggest as must as 3 hrs acclimation time.So,it could have been been that reason it didn't make it.The "crapping" was most likely the creature just dying.

I disagree that you won;t find algea or cyano on a power head infact places like overflows and PH often shows signs of issues well before they are out fo control. as alot of water flows past these areas there are higher levels of nutrients that pass through these areas. It very well could be cyano.

Ever seen a PH covered with hair algea but no algea in the tank or an over flow chalk full of algea?

It could be coraline too?

However I would say to make any assement with those photos and zero parameters is nothing but a wild guess

If it's anything like I had it's definitely not cyano.
This stuff was like Santa backed into super glue.
Even after soaking the powerhead for hours in vinegar it still needed to be scrubbed.Almost broke the Koralia shroud doing this.

Back