Ideas on more fish

mpsteve

Sps connoisseur
So I have a 120g 48x24x24 tank with sump. This tank is a sps tank with a few lps. I'm interested in some more fish but can't think of any I would want to add but I'm still new to the hobby. I had a tank back in 08-09 but broke it down before going to Iraq.

I just started a new tank January of this year. And so far I have.

3x blue green chromis
2x midnight clown fish
1x purple tang
1x malenarus wrasse
1x yellow chorus wrasse

Can't think of what else I would want. I have tried 2 copperbands. First one starved to death and I just sold my second one tonight as I ran out of aiptasia for it to eat and couldn't get it to eat prepped food. Didn't wanna see another one die, so it was better to sell it to someone in need of an aiptasia cure.

So let me here your ideas for new fish guys. Post pictures if you can also

Perhaps some Lyretail anthias. Unlike other anthias, these are more likely to survive with just one feeding per day.
If you didn't have the purple tang, I would've suggested a yellow tang but zebrazoma are very agressive toward each other and esp. a 4' tank.
-Leopard wrasse are always my favorite.
-flasher wrasses
-bangai fish
-a pair of flame wrasse would add the missing red/orange in your fish stock.
If you dare, a flame angelfish. Please be advised that adding any kind of angelfish is a gamble between it and the corals. But if just so damn cool!
Basically, I think you just need some red in the fish stock.

Maybe a white tail bristle tooth tang. The purple tang only fought the copperband for like 2 days then quit

Gobies - either a shrimp goby type or a neon goby or both.
Also a blenny could do well.
Royal gramma, or an assessor or other basslet.
Hawkfish are cool if you have no shrimp.

if you are interested in clowns, i have two normal clowns that are paired living in my sump. Happy to unload for whatever you want to offer. message me if interested.

I like my flame angle. Very cool. I cannot seem to keep chromis alive. Bought 5 at Oceans of Glass and have only 1 left after a month. I think 2 fell asleep in a powerhead. I don't think they were eating... Anyway, love any sort of tang. really like dejardan / bristletooth tang.

A Bristletooth Tang would likely be a good choice. You would just need to use an acclimation box for a couple of days for the new tang (up to 7). A mirror could help keep the Purple busy if there are still issues after the new one is released.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

I'd get some bottom dwellers. I love gobies. A pack of wheelers is cool and cheap. I also have an orange spot.

Starry Blennies are great. A lot of personality.

Love fire fish too.

Gold assessor basslets - love how mine swim upside down under my rocks.

Black cap basslet

Yellow candy hog fish

Really liking the idea of a white tail bristle tooth tang and like 4-5 lyretail anthias. The anthias look like there orange and the white tail is red

Be prepare to catch or isolate the purple tang if you decide to add a RTBT. I use an aqua medic trap or an egg crate to "divide" the tank to keep the trouble maker away from the newcomer.

Foxface are beautiful fish. They will camo themselves which is cool to see (pity it's a stress reaction). Very peaceful and great algae eaters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love Foxface, still petrified I'm going to get nailed by a spine every time I put my hand in the tank. Mine eats right out of my hand though and is super peaceful.

Love Foxface, still petrified I'm going to get nailed by a spine every time I put my hand in the tank. Mine eats right out of my hand though and is super peaceful.
Same here with my Magnificent. He thinks my fingers are food. He loves to spit water at me when he is hungry too. It's the family's' favorite fish!

So I got a white tail at oceans in glass and got it in a acclimation box in the tank. The purple tang fluffed up a bit but settled down after like 20 mins might try to let the white tail out tonight. Will be 24 hours since they saw each other. Also picked up a small female meleagris leopard wrasse since I saw her eating up a storm at oceans in glass.

So I put the leopard wrasse in the tank and she didn't act like my malenarus wrasse that's 5 inches long or my yellow chorus wrasse that's 2 inches. The leopard wrasse didn't go into the sand. She hung out and swarm near the top of the tank near the return line for like 20 mins then joined the rest of the fish for food. I have not had a wrasse yet not go into the sand for atleast a day when first put into a tank. I am amazed by this wrasse. I want a male meleagris now to keep her company. She is just so much diff personality wise then any other wrasse I have owned. Now I know why people like them.

Also maybe I got Mickey with her or the verdict is still out on her but she seems to be just as easy as any other wrasse to keep. She's fat and happy

I would do at least 48 hours in the box for the White Tail. Also I would get a mirror ready. Put the up as soon as you release the new one. I can promise you that even if the PT pays no attention while it's in the box, it will once you release it.

White tail is maybe 1/2 inch bigger too. Thing I'm afraid of is the white tail being stressed in the box and getting ich. Never had a fish with ich yet and this is my third tank and maybe have bought 30 or more fish but I have heard tangs get ich Easyer then others. Never had a tank big enough for tangs so these are my first few tangs( lost a tomini to what looked like fungus before the purple tang)

They seem stressed in the box, but it is much less stressful than having another tang constantly attack it IMO. But again after you release it, just be prepared to need to do things like the mirror, add something into the tank to scare your existing tank, or worse case catch your existing tang and put it in timeout (either the box or a sump).

Back