IO Salt High Alk??

wrassefan

Intentionally Left Blank
BRS Member
been using regular IO salt for over 30 years and usually either alk or calcium is a little low after mixing and I adjust...tested a new box...alk 13 dkh and calcium 460. I've been trying to keep the alk at 10 dkh...how do you lower it(my guess is vinegar)? I don't want to waste it...it's a new box. If I do a 15 gallon water change out approx 80 gallons of, how much will my alk go up (currently at 10 dkh)? Anyone else having this issue? First time for me with high alk issue.

Stupid question but did you mix the salt up real good before using it?

I had problems with RSCP and was told to mix the bucket real good first.

Is this a bucket or the box with 4 bags,Andy?
Maybe you can mix the dry salt up,or two different bags together.
I've heard of some additives separating from the salt during shipping to different levels in the same container.

Stupid question but did you mix the salt up real good before using it?

I had problems with RSCP and was told to mix the bucket real good first.

not sure how well I mixed the bag...same routine as usual on a new box.

Is this a bucket or the box with 4 bags,Andy?
Maybe you can mix the dry salt up,or two different bags together.
I've heard of some additives separating from the salt during shipping to different levels in the same container.
4 bags...bucket mixing now with different bag to see if same

Last edited:
just tested a second batch from another bag in same box...alk is 13 also. Looks like I will need to lower the alk a bit to feel comfortable about using this box

Any chance your salinity is high (like 1.029-1.030)? Those numbers are more like Reef Crystals than regular IO.

I think I'm going to a lfs today just to confirm my test kit isn't off before trying a water change.

That happened to me before (many years ago) and is the exact reason I dont use IO any longer. Did a big water change and opened a new bag figuring (ahh this is always 10dkh) only to find out after my corals started to melt. Couldnt figure out until I went to do another waterchange to help the corals/tank that the ALK in the newly mixed water was 15 dkh!!! FYI a tank with 9.6 dkh doesnt take kindly to changing 25% of the water with 15 dkh alk water.

Long story short...I use tropic marin now and deal with the extra upfront cost rather than getting IO's russian roulette of bad batches. Quality Control is a big concern with anything I put in my tank.

I'm treading slowly...that's why I usually test a batch to each new box. Emailed marineland and they said their equipment testing alk is more accurate than a hobbiest test kit. If you send us a few cups of salt and we determine it is not in their range of 9-11dkh, they will then replace it. Did they even offer to send a prepaid postage envelope?.. No. I asked them how often they calibrate their testing equip...haven't heard back since.

Anyone know of a low alk salt that's cheap to buy :D?

Back