Is a canister filter overkill for phosphate remover (GFO)?

tubsy3

Non-member
I wanted to start running some phosphate removal on my tank and was looking into a phosban reactor or something similar and also into canister filters. Since its my first time running the GFO i guess I will run small dosage and slowly increse so that my sps wont RTN. The canister filter I was looking at was the smallest eheim ecco that is around 100gph flow rate. I would also run carbon in there at the same time (which is why I looked into canister filters) since the cost of 2 reactors is close to the canister filter. But is the flow in a canister filter too much for the GFO? Should I put it in a filter bag?

I was thinking the best thing was run the water through the gfo first then through carbon, then put a foam pad like how the reactors have at the top to catch any loose gfo particles? Does this sound right? Or will the reactor serve me much better?

BTW this is for a 120g tank.

Thanks!
Chris

So I have a (Pentair Aquatics (Rainbow Lifegard) Single Mechanical Filter Module AF-94) which is more or less a canister filter. I was thinking about getting rid of it and buying a phosban reactor............

Seems like the phosban requires less flow and is less expensive?
Frank

I'm running gfo in a canister right now because I had one laying around. It's a bit of a pain because the gfo particles are so fine. I'm using Rowaphos and I had to cut up pieces of fine mesh bag and silicone them into the canister baskets to keep the gfo in place. I didn't want to use a bag because the water will mostly just flow around it. The foam pads won't keep the gfo from blowing through. The flow is too high and the pads are too coarse. I'm moving everything to fluidized reactors when the basement system is finished. If you're starting from scratch, I'd go the reactor route - one for carbon and one for gfo.

A canister filter can work great as an alternative to a phosban reactor in the case of finances. I use a Rena XP3 where I've added Rowa Phos, nitrate media, carbon and pads for ammonia. I sandwiched my Rowa Phos between filter pad media as directed. It's one of the maintenance items to clean and replenish when the tank is due for a monthly water change. All media is enclosed in media bags bought at LFS. They get washed with filter socks.

So I have a (Pentair Aquatics (Rainbow Lifegard) Single Mechanical Filter Module AF-94) which is more or less a canister filter. I was thinking about getting rid of it and buying a phosban reactor............

Seems like the phosban requires less flow and is less expensive?
Frank

This is why I am trying to see if the canister is a good option. At dr fosters they are selling a reactor for ~35 + shipping. And I guess you will need a pump so add another 10 or so. For 2 reactors and 2 powerheads it will be around 80-90 which is about the cost of the eheim.

But yeah, I was worried about the flow of the canister filter blowing the gfo dust through the filter pads since the flow is pretty high..

How did you guys start the gfo treatment? I read on RC that some people were having coral die due to the quick change in chemistry from taking out the phosphates. But wasnt able to find a real definitive answer in terms of safely starting treatment.

On my 180 system, I filled a Fluval 300 size basket about 3/4 inch deep. I ran that for a couple weeks then replaced it with the same amount of fresh stuff. I had no negative side effects at all. I never tested for phosphate so I don't know what my levels started out though. It has definitely made a difference though as new algae growth has dropped to pretty much none and the liverock has whitened up significantly on areas that had acquired that greenish tint.

Back