Is Refugium Placement Important???

sdesi2005

Non-member
Just wondering before I place my fuge. I am looking to have it installed in front of my sump. This would mean that the water would flow out of the fuge, into the sump where it would either be pumped back into the tank, or go through the skimmer. It would look something like this:

Attachments

• SetupFuge.jpg
    SetupFuge.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 296
You may want to tee off the input to the fuge and direct one line to the sump (both with valves). That way you can control the amount of flow through your fuge.

What happens in a pump failure?
I have mine this way
Tank <-----> Sump <-------> fuge
It probably isn't optimum for pods, but I sure was happy I did it that way the day the pump to the fuge failed and I just had a cooler fuge rather than a display tank problem.

Nevermind, I was reading the flow chart backwards

I'll try again now that I know the way the water is flowing.

You wouldn't get any pods in the tank from the fuge if they have to go through carbon to get there. You also may have an issue with microbubbles from the skimmer with it so close to the return.

Do you mean you have a pump and drain circuit between your sump and fuge, like you do between your sump and display Cindy?

How's that any safer for your tank. It's just one more pump to fail, and there's no redundancy gained. Your tank is just as likely to suffer a pump failure that way as if you were feeding your fuge from a Tee off the drain or return line to the display tank. Right?

~Flighty~ said:
I'll try again now that I know the way the water is flowing.

You wouldn't get any pods in the tank from the fuge if they have to go through carbon to get there. You also may have an issue with microbubbles from the skimmer with it so close to the return.

Agreed. and good point about the carbon. I wasn't thinking of that.

NateHanson said:
Do you mean you have a pump and drain circuit between your sump and fuge, like you do between your sump and display Cindy?

How's that any safer for your tank. It's just one more pump to fail, and there's no redundancy gained. Your tank is just as likely to suffer a pump failure that way as if you were feeding your fuge from a Tee off the drain or return line to the display tank. Right?
I thought his system showed the water being pumped up to the fuge then pumped up to the tank, so two pumps to wory about rather than one.

My idea was to have the overflow come into the fuge (with a tee to limit water flow) the fuge will be drilled and the overflow will also run into the sump with the remaining water from the overflow.

Luckily, the carbon is under the LR, but the LR is held above it with a piece of eggcrate, the Carbon slides right out from under the eggcrate easily.

Why won't pods be able to go through carbon? :confused:

If thats the case its not a big deal, I can feed the water further into the sump past the carbon.

Pods are pretty big, up to 1/4". If you're putting your carbon in a mesh media bag, I doubt anything larger than a millimeter or so would get through.

Not sure I understand what the suggestion is you're making about feeding the water into the sump past the carbon. If you do that when will water go through the carbon?

If I feed the overflow water (from the Fuge)past the carbon, this water wouldn't run through the carbon. The Water coming from the overflow at the 'T' that does not go into the fuge would flow through the carbon.

How about my revised idea. The Red lines are revisions, and the I also added (2) valves to control flow. What about this idea?

Attachments

• SetupFugeII.jpg
    SetupFugeII.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 250
Looks good to me. I'd probably remove the valve to the left, since you probably won't need it if you orient your Tee the way you drew it. Also, valves can be catchpoints for a snail or crab on a wild ride.

Nate

Looks good but the only thing I would watch for is the possibility of bubbles getting into the return pump from your skimmer. You may need swap the skimmer and return pump and set up some sort of baffle system between them.

You might swap the skimmer and return pump. My thought being if the skimmer is to the end by itself your general flow through the tank doesn't go by the skimmer. I envision really well skimmed water on the skimmer end of the tank and the rest of the system not so optimally skimmed.

IMO and from what i have read ,most agree that the skimmer should be first in line in the filtration process,also skimmers tend be be affected by varying sump levels.A protien skimmer is the only form of filtration that removes nutrients from the water completely thus making them the most efficient form of filtration so our systems should be designed around them.The absolute best way of feeding a skimmer is to tee it into an overflow with its own valve and then have it return into the sump.This not only make the skimmer more effective but also lightens the load on other filtration methods,ie lenghtens the life of carbon,filter pads,media etc.
I am not saying your set up will not work because it will ,i am just giving my opinion FWIW on how it's potential could be maximized,and this is best done in the planning stages which it looks like you are putting a lot of thought into,hope this helps.
-Liam.

i would add a small circulation pump in the refugium for back up
(close to surface when refug offline)
your skimmer will act as back up for your sump water volume
so if your main return pump fails you will have no problems till you get home

Back