Is this grease okay to use on bulkhead gaskets?

N

number1gsxxr

I got it in the plumbing isle of Lowe's. It doesn't say what the ingredients are but I looked up the MSDS and it says silicon oxide and water.

Attachments

• grease 002.jpg
    grease 002.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 164
Properly installed bulkheads don't need any sealant or grease.

I was under the impression it was a good idea to lubricate the gaskets so saltwater doesn't eat away at them over time.

What is the proper way to install one? I've never done one before. Just place the gasket inside the tank and snug it down hand-tight + 1/4 turn?

Yup :)

Just be sure the gasket is on the flange side, not the nut side.

I wouldn't use sealant grease. It may make it very difficult to remove the bulkhead if/when you need to do so.

I would go with nothing at all, which may work. However, to play it safe and ensure a good uniform seal I used a paper thin layer of petroleum jelly on all of my bulkheads gaskets.

Last edited:
That is the correct stuff to use for gaskets. The reason to grease a bulkhead gasket is not only to make a good seal (it doesnt really help that much) but to protect and condition the gasket so it doesnt break down over time. Is it necessary? No, but do you really want the gasket to dry out and crack while installed on your tank?
It also does not make it difficult to remove at all!!!!! Although it is sometimes a little difficult to get the bulkhead on tight if you use too much of it. Use a very thin even layer

Won't petroleum actually casuse a rubber gasket to dry out and degrade over time?

Also, one other consideration is that if the gasket is lubricated it can make it easier for that gasket to get bunched up or squeezed out of the proper placement.

The right way really is to use no sealant or lubricant.

I originally was told to use silicon grease for the very reason that petroleum based lubricants will attack rubber.

I'm a big fan of using nothing......No need for it and it tends make the gasket squeeze out when you tighten the nut.

REMEMBER THE GASKET ALWAYS GOES BETWEEN THE FLANGE AND THE GLASS, IT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE IF THE FLANGE IS ON THE WET SIDE OR DRY SIDE.

Jim

I lube ALL gaskets and o-rings in my system periodically with food grade silicone lube and I haven't witnessed any ill effects from doing so. All of the o-rings in my system still look and feel brand new after years of use, even the thin ones in MJ's.

I'm also an advocate of only hand-tightening bulkheads because of the risk of them cracking over time if they're too tight. I've never needed to re-tighten a bulkhead and I've never had one leak (knock on wood :)).

I'm excited to start my build. I'll probably take some pics and post in the DIY section. All I need left is the return pump and to purchase the SCWD and I think I'll have everything aside from misc plumbing parts.

Back