Would a YWG be okay without coral rubble, and instead a 100% fine sandbed?

STiTCH87

Saltwater OCD Victim
I think I want a Yellow Watchman Goby, however my DSB is only sand and contains no coral rubble. Would a YWG be okay with this? I know they like coral rubble for burrowing so IDK... I was planning to pair it with a tiger shrimp so I guess the same question goes for that little guy too.

I think they need a very fine sand because they sift and rubble is not "siftable" .. Could be wrong though.

Also they don't borrow their buddy the shrimp does that.

I've got a sandy rubble in mine which seems to be perfect for my tiger pistol/YWG combo. I don't think that the finer sand would be too much of an issue as the pistol shrimp more pushes the sand out of the way with his claw than actually digs. As long as it is possible for the sand to be moved without it all settling right back where it came from, it shouldn't be a problem as far as I can tell. But maybe someone with finer sand and a pistol shrimp could tell you better.

Yeah because my sand is very very fine sand. However, I can most certainly "sculpt" if you will the sandbed by pushing it around so I don't think the shrimp would have a hard time making a proper burrow. I didn't think YWGs sifted sand though?

I have noted some YWG occasionally sifting sand. However, mine very rarely even bends down to scoop up any. They're definitely no diamond gobies when it comes to sand sifting.

I have a very fine sand bed and my yellow watchman goby seems to be quite happy. He lives without a shrimp but was easily able to dig himself a hole under some rock. He does like to filter mouth fulls of sand although he never did it when i first got him (or never noticed) He seemed to do it more often about 6 months after i got him. Usually he swims out, grabs a mouth full of sand and takes it back to his cave entrance and filters it there. There is a little mound around his entrance cause of this.

i've got a fine sand bed and my YWG is always scooping up the sand bed. Even likes to cover himself up with the sand. He does tend to cover up some of the rock with the sand but it's fun to watch him do this.

Hmm. Definitely may be considering this. You guys think one would get along with a clown goby, algae blenny, pair of clowns, peppermint shrimp, hermits, tonga nassarius, turbo, and astrea?

i think they should all be ok together and the ywg should do alright with any kind of sand..........

you should be perfectly fine with the above mentioned. i do not personally have a lawnmower blenny, but my friend has one in his tank with a ywg and has never had any troubles.

As long as the goby has a rock/tunnel to hide in he should be fine. They seem to be much more confident when he knows he has a good escape route. I heard most gobies together are ok as long as there is enough room and/or hiding spots.

Back