Just wanted to introduce myself

MikeG

Non-member
Hey all,

I was recently introduced to this site by Dave P who I met through TRT. I've been into this hobby now for about 3 years and with some recently aquired frags from Dave I am now getting rid of all of my softies and shrooms and dedicating my tank to SPS and clams.
It's nice to finally find a board with members who are in the same area, now if I see post for group buys or things like that I can get involved. Anyway I will see you around.

Mike

Nice to have you here.
I would suggest putting your town in your profile so you can find people who live close to you. Great way to get some cheep frags and meet people.

Welcome aboard Mike. Watch out for that Dave he's a bad influence. As you can see he's already convince you to get rid of your softies:).

It's not always a bad thing when you get motivated to do some work on the tank. It's just hard trying to explain to the wife that these little pieces will grow into something that is amazing to look at while taking out all of the nice pretty things that sway in the current. Hopefully in 6 months to a year she will see what I am trying to do!

Hi Mike!

I'm brand new to BRS too, but I'm brand new to the hobby as well, so, no doubt you'll see me bugging everyone with questions. It's awesome to see the club gaining more resources! :)

Welcome!

Melody~

Hi Melody,

I just wish I knew about places like this when I was first starting out, it would have prevented a lot of headaches and saved a ton of money. Ask as many questions as possible and learn as much as you can and you will be successful!

Yeah, you guys know me, but I'm only 3 months into this hobby...

Melody and Mike, you couldn't have picked a better place to come...

Welcome, neighbor!
I'm moving this out to Reef Talk.
By convention that's where the introductions go.

Hey Mike & Melody
welcomemat.gif

bigdance.gif

To Boston Reefers Society!!!

smilies-20680.png

Last edited:
See Mike... told ya so. :p

Moe is in Hudson. Perfectly situated between a SWEET fishing spot, and a better drinking establishment. I'll be sure to introduce you to each other. Gustavo (Neo) is in Marlboro, perfectly situated between my home, and our second home (Home Depot). Funny....we run into each other there often. To boot, we often see Jason there as he (and LauraD) are in Framingham, just over the hills nearest Fafard's farmlands. Richard, the smart guy... :) is in Framingham too. There are TONS of other Metro West reefers out here as well.

I know you say that visiting my reef inspired you to go more to stonies. You should know, that my first tank was a softy tank and seeing another BRS member's system inspired me (Gumhead..who also lives in M'bro). The Montipora and other corals you took were frags from him, given to me. My system would NEVER be what it is today (still far from perfect...but schweet none the less) if it weren't for BRS.

Welcome again, and tap this resource for all it is worth.

Dave

Hey Dave,

I'm sure I will get a lot of use out of this group, seems like a lot of friendly folks! I had a quick question for you, I went to get all of the stuff for my auto top off the other day and the people at Tropic Isle didn't really have a clue. When I told them what I was planning to do and what type or size of tubing would fit in the Kent float valves they said that only the lines for the Kent RO/DI units fit into it.

Thought that was a little funny knowing how many people use these as top offs. Anyway is it just 1/4" vinyl tubing or is there something specific that need to be used?

I fragged the pocilloporar last night as well, I will keep an eye on it and let you know when the polyp extension is looking normal. It wasn't looking to bad before lights out.

Mike

Home Depot... you can get a roll of the stuff in the same isle as water systems and ice makers for WAY cheaper than you'll find at an LFS. It's all "same/same". If you are going to "fix mount" the RO/DI and run to a reservoir, you can find the saddle taps in the same isle. What'cha doin tonight? I can show you the 'guts' of my system in the back room if you'd like. You could do something similar in short time for short cash.

d

Now your really going to think I am crazy, I as of yet am not using any water filtration. I went to buy a RO/DI from Chuck at All Things Fishy and he actually convinced me to hold off. He told me that they had stopped using RO/DI water on their coral tanks because of the success I have had with mine with coral, clam, and coraline growth. I just treat my water with a dechlorinzer and my top off water is all Kalk and from the research I have done on Kalk it binds up heavy metals and phosphate which I have tested and found to be true.

Long story short I am just trying to set up a reservoir to hold my Top off water and connect that to a float valve. I was planning on going to HD to get the supplies, I was just trying to find out what size tubing to use while I was at Tropic Isle.

I could stop by and see how you have things set up if you are going to be around.

Mike

Eeek.. Mike. Come see me. I'll show you a little "test" of sorts regarding Marlboro water. You can even play with my RO/DI filters and squish the sludge through yer finners if ya like ;) For what it's worth, I don't even drink the water myself.

Personally, I like Chuck. He's brilliant when it comes to cichlids. Although his marine systems are looking better now than before (due to newly installed, proper lighting) he's the first to admit he is in the midst of a learning curve. I'd get a second, third, or 4th opinion on whether or not you want to use RO or RO/DI.

If you look into his systems, you can clearly see that there are water quality problems. He's got some of the most amazingly healthy valonia specimens I've ever seen! Also, his healthiest fish are his algae blennies. Again, I like Chuck, work with him often, but would be worried for him and you if you've not really taken a look at, and continue to use unfiltered M'bro waters.

For an even better "reality check", go peer at the shores of Lake Williams, which is one of the water supplies that augment the Quabbin deliveries. It sits between Rt. 495, the old industrial section of town and an establishment called "Lakeside Oil". During the warmer weather, it has a pretty rainbow sheen to it from the road run off etc. Blech!

D

Back