Kalk dosing

Xhxxh

BRS Member
Hi all reefers

I have a 120G mixed reef, been dosing 3800ml kalk via stirrer by neptune doser. Ph fluctuates from 7.6 to 8. I know people dose more at night or some even only dose at night to fight ph drop at night time?
My question is how I should distribute the dosing? My light starts 9am and ends 930pm. Should I dose all 3800ml when the light is out?
My plan is to dose 1500ml during the day 2300ml when light is out til light is on again the next day

Thanks
Kin

Is the pH probe calibrated? With that much kalk dosed daily, your pH should be higher. 7.6 is outside the normal range. What is your alkalinity as alkalinity is the buffering capacity of sea water,

Is the pH probe calibrated? With that much kalk dosed daily, your pH should be higher. 7.6 is outside the normal range. What is your alkalinity as alkalinity is the buffering capacity of sea water,
Yes its calibrated and pH has been like that since the beginning. Alkalinity is sitting at 8.
Not sure if it has to do with my home setting. Its apartment with central air system.

I had low PH (Not that low) and ran a hose to my skimmer from the outside. No more PH issues. Originally tried CO2 absorbing media but it can get expensive.

How often do you stir the kalk? Does RO water fill the stirrer automatically or do you fill it yourself? Kalk that is stirred too often loses its potency as it reacts with atmospheric CO2. Actually It's best to make it and not stir it at all. When it gets low make another batch. I stopped using my kalk stirrer and now have just a bucket that I refill every three days or so. It's more labor intensive but much more effective. As for the timing, I used to dose continuously all day. Now it's 8pm to 8am.

I have avast kalk stirrer that stirs 24/7. I put in new kalk powder every other week. I have a 5G tank with RO water to feed the stirrer by the doser.

I had low PH (Not that low) and ran a hose to my skimmer from the outside. No more PH issues. Originally tried CO2 absorbing media but it can get expensive.
I cant. My tank is in the living room, i cant crack the window just for that

When dosing kalk using the apex you should calibrate your pH probe every month or 2 to make sure it's spot on. This is what I do right now. I programed my dos to only dose if ph is less than 8.29 doing this puts in a safety so you don't over dose and it will also keep your pH very stable. I agree with others your pH probe is most likely out of wack as you are dosing alot and it should be raising. When my kalk gets dosed my pH jumps a little bit each time.

Yes its calibrated and pH has been like that since the beginning. Alkalinity is sitting at 8.
Not sure if it has to do with my home setting. Its apartment with central air system.
can you test the pH of the Kalk solution to see if it had pH above 11?

can you test the pH of the Kalk solution to see if it had pH above 11?
Another thing that possibly could be going wrong as well Dong is he could have it exposed to air. If you do have it exposed to air the kalk solution will lose its potency.

Been using an avast kalk reactor forever. I have a probe in it and when the ph goes below 11, I reload. It’s hooked up to my ato so it’s always dosing. I just keep an eye on my alk and ph. I stir 2 min every 30 min. With this and air connected to skimmer I have rock solid ph.

I cant. My tank is in the living room, i cant crack the window just for that
I was able to run the skimmer's air line to the window and then put a piece of 1" copper pipe insulation (cut to the width of the window) on the window pane. Then I used weatherproofing insulation tape on the opening to seal. There is no draft or leaking after careful taping and insulating. Can you notice it? yes, but its not an eyesore and its mostly covered by window curtains. It has drastically addressed this exact issue and now my PH ranges from 8.05-8.4 daily. I dose 1000ml of Kalk from a 5 gallon bucket daily also which has helped raise the PH.
1678887105300.png
window.jpg

I took a picture of the window sill if you like for better explaination.

Last edited:
I have avast kalk stirrer that stirs 24/7. I put in new kalk powder every other week. I have a 5G tank with RO water to feed the stirrer by the doser.
I would do a little experiment. Remove and clean your reactor. Fill it with RO and add the kalk. Don't connect it to the RO line from your 5 gal tank. Turn off the stirrer. Dose that until it runs out and see what your pH does.

I run an SPS dominate tank and in my experience dumping more soda ash and/or kalk to raise my ph didnt work out for my tank. I keep my Alk at 8 and I wanted to raise my ph to peak at 8.3. At the time my ph went from about 7.7-8 daily. Raising my Alk level wasnt enough to maintain a higher ph throughout the day and supplementing with kalk only helped temporarily. Im always weary about adding too much of anything and causing a swing so I ended up drilling a hole outside my house to run an airline to my skimmer. It was probably one of the best things ive ever done for the tank.

I have central air as well and keeping the windows open was just not a long term solution. I would really look into the window thing as @SteveDola suggested. You're not gonna regret it.

To answer your original question, I would dose whatever amount you are going to dose only at night. Drawing skimmer air from outside is great if possible. Also co2 scrubbers have been proven effective, while costly. The recirculating method is best, if going down that road.

Thanks guys! Some information here to take in. I did notice a small window which has fresh air coming in. Im going to do this now and see. Im jealous when seeing ph at 8.1 to 8.3

My question for the group: Is it more beneificial for the reef tank for a more stable PH (less diviation from the mean) or a higher peak PH?

For context: I had been dosing my Kh all day and then switch the schedule to lights off hours. It has allowed my min range to be 8.15 but my peak is now 8.35 rahter than a range from 8.4-8.05. what do you think? whats your expirience. My gut is telling me that less varriation from the mean is better for coral growth and stability.

I run an SPS dominate tank and in my experience dumping more soda ash and/or kalk to raise my ph didnt work out for my tank. I keep my Alk at 8 and I wanted to raise my ph to peak at 8.3. At the time my ph went from about 7.7-8 daily. Raising my Alk level wasnt enough to maintain a higher ph throughout the day and supplementing with kalk only helped temporarily. Im always weary about adding too much of anything and causing a swing so I ended up drilling a hole outside my house to run an airline to my skimmer. It was probably one of the best things ive ever done for the tank.

I have central air as well and keeping the windows open was just not a long term solution. I would really look into the window thing as @SteveDola suggested. You're not gonna regret it.
Do you have a pic of your skimmer with the airline? I dont know if Im doing it right. I checked my ph using both hanna checker and neptune. Unfortunately my tank ph is 7.6-8 daily, its not my neptune ph probe problem. Kalk ph is 12.

I also love in an apartment building and have had difficulties with low ph. I bought the bulk reef supply co2 scrubber and it fixed the issue overnight. Before using the scrubber my ph would range from 7.8 to 8.1. After introducing the scrubber it ranges from 8 to 8.3

Back