Know a Structural Engineer?

jackthestrat

DON'T PANIC
Anyone know an engineer who will give a quick estimate of weight bearing capacity of a 2nd story apartment? :p

I need an estimate of the most weight I could safely fit in the allocated space - I live in the Woburn area.

Any tips would be great, thanks! PM is probably best.

I don't know how to say this without embarassing myself -

I don't know what either of those two things are.

What size tank are you thinking about, and will it be located against an outside wall?

Jim

Jim -

I was thinking a 90gal with a 30gal sump and all the assorted fixins. It would be against an outside wall on the 2nd story. House was built in the early 1900's and has settled quite a bit.

You might also check with Dennis V. (Denvig on the forum). He's pretty good at doing these type of estimates.

If the ridge (roof peak) goes front to back then your joists should run left to right. Put it on a side wall, not front or back wall.
Get downstairs, look under the proposed location for a front to back wall under or near the location, this should be a load bearing wall and your all set.

You should stat in the basement with jack supports . Find the bearing wall to hold the weight of the tank on the 1st floor and support the load in the basement with Home Depo jacks . Works well we picked a house up 6in on one side with them.
Good luck

Just an FYI, I'm a licensed Civil Engineer (a PE) in MA.

While I work in the environmental field, I have my license in civil.

I'd have to check what type of assistance I can provide you with if you still need it.

Matt:cool:

Back