Structural Engineer - Flooring Expert Needed

zoomen

Non-member
Hi everyone,

Ok, I'm new to the group and the hobby, so if this isn't the right place for this post - please let me know and I'll move it (delete/repost).

I was originally going to go with a 150 gallon Marineland Deep Dimension, but have had second thoughts and decided to just go the 300 gallon version. I need to hire a structural engineer or someone who's sound in floor capacity when dealing with large tanks and the appropriate supporting needed to carry this huge weight. I've called 3 different Architecture/Engineering/Building firms to see if I could get someone to come advise me on my structure, but in ever circumstance was told that they don't do jobs that small. Obviously, given the weight involved, I don't want to just hire some guy off of Craigslist, but a professional who knows what he/she is talking about. Has anyone in this forum needed such expertise and could recommend someone to me? Or by chance is there a structural engineer amongst us? Please let me know since I don't want to spend money on the tank only to find out that my floor needs $5k worth of work to be able to support the weight. If there is a builder, carpenter, ect that has assessed this kind of requirement in the past, I'd be interested to talk to you as well.

Some of the specifics are - I live in a two story house with a basement. The only wall that I have (or want) to put this tank would leave the tank running parallel with the floor joists. I will be putting the tank on the first floor (with open basement area underneath). I'm pretty sure the wall is a load bearing wall - but I'm not an expert. The tank fully stocked will be around 3500lbs. The tank and stand is 72" long by 36" deep. I estimate that those dimensions equate to around 195lbs per square foot. Lastly (not sure if this is important) the basement has concrete floors.

Thanks - Zach

I was worried about my 75....
Sure its a small tank, but my house is old and very tilted. I braced it with a floor jack and a pressure treated 6X6 that the two floor joists rest on. The jack is under the center of the tank.

269017647_835b7018a5_b.jpg

Since your tank is much bigger, if it were me, I would do a jack on each end of the tank.

Concrete basement floors are needed though.....
I think this cost me around $50

I have built many a deck to support over 7000 lbs (more than some cars) worth of hot tubs and guests. I am sure I could advise you in this area or do the work for you depending on your location.

If it were me I would take Saltcreep idea and expand it to four columns, espically if you have less than 2x10 beams. Also do something to dress up the columns to make it look good. That's alot of weight and my biggest concern would be the floor sagging over time.

IMO even 2 columns and a beam would be overkill. You could also do it on the cheap with a bearing wall beneath the tank and a few 4x4's between the plates. I did the same thing under the family room in my last house. The floor didn't even wiggle a little afterwards. Use the new bearing wall under the tank as one of the walls for your new basement fish room the way I did. :D

IMO even 2 columns and a beam would be overkill. You could also do it on the cheap with a bearing wall beneath the tank and a few 4x4's between the plates. I did the same thing under the family room in my last house. The floor didn't even wiggle a little afterwards. Use the new bearing wall under the tank as one of the walls for your new basement fish room the way I did. :D

i did the same ,my fish room is beneath my display tank

Chances are if the wall is running parallel with the joists it is not a load bearing wall. As others have suggested, just build a new bearing wall under the floor where the tank will sit. Go to the next joist past where the tank sits. Make sure the concrete floor is sound, or to be safe you could pour a bigger footing on top of the existing floor. An engineer will want you to break the existing concrete floor and pour new footings then build on top of that.

Wow - thanks so much for the advice everyone! Happy Eve to you all!

KSC - yeah you're right - I'm not skilled enough to know if the wall is a load bearing wall. The only reason why I thought it might be was because in the basement there is a wall (ceiling to floor) that is directly aligned to the wall on the first floor. I'll try to take pictures and post them if people are interested. I'm not so worried about the aesthetics in that room (unfinished utility room), and if a few telescopic jacks and a board is sufficient - it works for me.

I would love to put in a fish room, but this area of the basement is full of water heaters, oil tanks, furnace equipement etc in close proximity to this wall. I really don't want to pipe water 20 feet across and another 10 feet down to the next available open area in the basement for a fish room.

Don't let the distance stop what ever you want to do. The biggest concern in piping is number of connections and the height. Sounds like you may not have a total 14-15' of head, if that.

Hi everyone,

Ok, I'm new to the group and the hobby,

You're new to the hobby? So was I a few months ago and I started with a 10 gallon tank! What tanks have you had previously? I'd love to hear the grand plan. What's your budget?

Good luck!

i just graduated in may from RWU in bristol, ri with an engineering degree with a specialization in civil engineering. i have taken the necessary courses to analyze your situtation. where are you located?

Back