korallin calcium reactor

jenreef

Non-member
i am thinking of buying the korallin c-1502 calcium reactor comes with eheim 1048 pump, Reef Fanatic Deluxe CO2 Regulator, Catalina 5 lbs. CO2 Cylinder and purified reactor media. my question is what else would i need to run this reactor? can i connect the calcium reactor to a reefkeeper lite 3 for ph control? is it possible for me to overdose the tank with calcium?

You can definitely overdose CA, and if you do that you will also over dose ALK. You want to use a reactor to maintain levels in your tank, not to raise them.

Not sure about that system you mentioned, but it sounds like everything you will need.

do i need to buy a ph controller? or will the ph probe on the reefkeeper lite 3 do the same job as a ph controller

I have this reactor setup. I use two ph probes, one to measure the reactor effluent that is connected to my ph controller, and my second ph probe I use to measure the ph of my DT. I dont know about your RK3 but many people use these to control calcium reactors.

Those are very well made reactors, and it sounds like it has everything you need. To run it on your reefkeeper, you would need a solenoid (but that may well be included, if not it's not expensive). The reefkeeper will do everything a seperate PH controller will do. You can also run a reactor with no PH controller, but then you tend to have to do a lot of manual tweaking to keep the Co2 just right. Personally I much prefer to use a controller so I can basically set it and forget it. If you do use a controller, there are two ways to do it;
-One is to monitor the PH in the tank and have the Co2 shut off when the tank PH goes too low. Doing it like this, you will still need some peroidic tweaking of the Co2 flow as a lot of other vairables would affect the PH in the tank.
-The second approach is to put the PH probe directly in the reactor, or have the efflluent running into a small container and have the probe directly in that. This way you it is basically self adjusting, in that if you want to increase the effluent rate, the controller will adjust the Co2 for you automatically keeping the PH right where it should be so that the media dissolves at a deccent rate, but doesn't turn to gooo.

With Ca reactors, if you have them cranked up too high you will see increased precipitation on impellers and such, and you may cause sand to start to clump/turn into rock. You sort of can overdose, but the consequences would be nowhere as bad as if you say, way overdosed 2 part or even worse kalk. If you have a Ca reactor cranked up way too high, the first thing you would likely see is the PH in the tank being driven down.

Those are very well made reactors, and it sounds like it has everything you need. To run it on your reefkeeper, you would need a solenoid (but that may well be included, if not it's not expensive). The reefkeeper will do everything a seperate PH controller will do. You can also run a reactor with no PH controller, but then you tend to have to do a lot of manual tweaking to keep the Co2 just right. Personally I much prefer to use a controller so I can basically set it and forget it. If you do use a controller, there are two ways to do it;
-One is to monitor the PH in the tank and have the Co2 shut off when the tank PH goes too low. Doing it like this, you will still need some peroidic tweaking of the Co2 flow as a lot of other vairables would affect the PH in the tank.
-The second approach is to put the PH probe directly in the reactor, or have the efflluent running into a small container and have the probe directly in that. This way you it is basically self adjusting, in that if you want to increase the effluent rate, the controller will adjust the Co2 for you automatically keeping the PH right where it should be so that the media dissolves at a deccent rate, but doesn't turn to gooo.

With Ca reactors, if you have them cranked up too high you will see increased precipitation on impellers and such, and you may cause sand to start to clump/turn into rock. You sort of can overdose, but the consequences would be nowhere as bad as if you say, way overdosed 2 part or even worse kalk. If you have a Ca reactor cranked up way too high, the first thing you would likely see is the PH in the tank being driven down.
man that was well said.

I.have this same cal reactor setup and run it through my reefkeeper. I couldn't keep the ph inside the chamber steady enough for my liking so I bought the replacement top with the ph probe holder built into it and haven't had a problem since. Other than that its a very nice setup

im defenitely going to buy the korallin reactor. when you have a big tank it's worth buying a reactor than dosing bionic. im going through bionic like water. it's because i have 175 gallon total water system

Back