Korallin Calcium Reactor help

125tank

BRS Member
So for the life of me I've never had any experienced with a calcium reactor. I'm having a pretty nice deal on a korallin c1502 reactor package but here's the catch: the lid of the reactor was modified. since the regulator already has a bubble counter, the owner removed the bubble counter on the reactor lid and a pH port was added so the pH probe sit in the reactor (at least that's what he told me :) )

So.... he gave me the option of receiving that modified lid (no bubble counter but pH probe holder), or receiving the original lid (bubble counter but no pH probe holder)! I obviously want the original lid but pH probe holder is a very nice feature to have because i think i need a pH controller, is there anyway I can add the holder without removing the bubble counter or anything i can do?

PLEASEEEEE help me out here, I dont know what to do!!!! Thanks in advance guys! :(

You'll want the bubble counter so get the original lid. You'll place your PH probe in the effluent cup/container to monitor what's coming out. Some not all, regulators on the C02 bottle have a bubble counter on them. I have the same calcium reactor and built an effluent container to hold my probe.

is it easy to build an effluent container? im not handy and obviously doesnt know much about cal reactor. marinedepot sells a seperate lid with a pH probe port on it which costs ~$60. worth it? you're in lowell not really far away from me so if you're willing to help me out, i can bring the reactor over. thanks!

is it easy to build an effluent container? im not handy and obviously doesnt know much about cal reactor. marinedepot sells a seperate lid with a pH probe port on it which costs ~$60. worth it? you're in lowell not really far away from me so if you're willing to help me out, i can bring the reactor over. thanks!

You can use a simple specimen container to drop the probe in. Hang the container in your sump and you're in. You can also get an inline pH probe holder cheaper than $60 for sure.

ok so i'll get the original lid! thanks guys~

but out of curiosity, what's the difference between having the probe held in the reactor (many reactors have built in probe holder) compare to out side the reactor like you guys suggested? or it's just for the reason of neatness and no major impact on how the pH works at all...

The probe holder in the lid is a nice option if you ever plan on possibly using a second reactor. I would always get that if I had the choice then you measure the pH ion the main chamber and not after the second. I typically use a regulator with a bubble counter and you can buy in line bubble counters as well if you needed to stick one somewhere.

ok so i'll get the original lid! thanks guys~

but out of curiosity, what's the difference between having the probe held in the reactor (many reactors have built in probe holder) compare to out side the reactor like you guys suggested? or it's just for the reason of neatness and no major impact on how the pH works at all...

If the probe is only measuring the effluent, and your drip line/valve clogs, the controller may continue to dump Co2 into the reactor because it doesn't know that the PH in the reactor chamber is dropping. This will ruin your media and turn it into soup. This happened to me a couple times before I finally mounted the probe in the reactor which is what I should have done in the first place.

It's just all around better to have the probe mounted in the chamber.

If the probe is only measuring the effluent, and your drip line/valve clogs, the controller may continue to dump Co2 into the reactor because it doesn't know that the PH in the reactor chamber is dropping. This will ruin your media and turn it into soup. This happened to me a couple times before I finally mounted the probe in the reactor which is what I should have done in the first place.

It's just all around better to have the probe mounted in the chamber.

Another good reason.

sweet! thanks for all the good info. i'll ask more after i received the reactor xD

Back