Kuroshio Sea - 2nd largest aquarium tank in the world

I was in Okinawa 4 yrs ago and went to okinawa Churuami aquarium, its a beautiful "old school" aquarium (http://www.kaiyouhaku.com/en/index.html) ,where the fish tanks were more-or-less shaped like a box w/ fish in it. Just so happens this main tank is 1,98 million gallons, however you can still see the back and sides, so it looks like a ridiculously huge box. It claims to have the largest viewing panel, thats 3 ft thick (IIRC)
The largest single aquarium is Georgia w/ "The Ocean Explorer exhibit" (their whale shark exhibit) is 2million gallons (so its not much bigger) and is shaped like a football field, so you cant see the back and its gives the impression of huge depth

What great w/ this aquarium is temperate japanese species, they have a wonderful collection of weird, whacky, colorful and local (including P lunulata lionfsh) which i have never seen in anyone collections. So the aquarium is old- but its well maintained and updated. Definitely worth the trip if your in Okinawa

I thought Georgia aquarium was 6 million gallons, with a viewing window that is 2 inches less wide than the Okinawa aquarium.

The big tank in Atlanta was definitely impressive and should be seen if you are down that way. I took my two little nephews that were both under 4 so I couldn't spend as long as I wanted at each exhibit. Luckily the big tank captivated them the longest so I got to take in quite a bit. A large grouper took interest in them and was right up against the glass for a while. Perhaps they looked like a snack :)

Back