LED light setting for optimal coral growing and aesthetic viewing, possible?

twinypalm

Non-member
My LED setting is now running with a white daylight setting. At night it changes to a bluer hue before moonlight kicks in. My corals' coloring really pops up under the blue light and I really like the look. My question is which setting is more beneficial for the corals? Should I continue to restrict my viewing pleasure for the short period each day or can I change the setting to make my tank looks better for my taste without compromising my corals' health?

What type of light? On the Sols we run both blue channels significantly higher than the white. White LED spectrum doesn't benefit coral growth.

My LED setting is now running with a white daylight setting. At night it changes to a bluer hue before moonlight kicks in. My corals' coloring really pops up under the blue light and I really like the look. My question is which setting is more beneficial for the corals? Should I continue to restrict my viewing pleasure for the short period each day or can I change the setting to make my tank looks better for my taste without compromising my corals' health?

you saw my tank this weekend my blue channels are approximately twice my whites and I have seen folks run their blues even higher. Also daylight which is usually somewhere around 6500K promotes algae growth you should be up somewhere around 12-15k from what I have read. I definitely get less algae with my whites and reds turned down compared to blues.

Last edited:
What type of light? On the Sols we run both blue channels significantly higher than the white. White LED spectrum doesn't benefit coral growth.

It's an Ecotech xp30w pro gen 2. I have the blue channels just a tag higher than white and the red is about half of the blue. The result is a white look that I don't like. I like the look of the tank when the light is in the dusk/dawn periods but I don't know if that setting is good for the corals.

you saw my tank this weekend my blue channels are approximately twice my whites and I have seen folks run their blues even higher. Also daylight which is usually somewhere around 6500K promotes algae growth you should be up somewhere around 12-15k from what I have read. I definitely get less algae with my whites and reds turned down compared to blues.

Yes I did notice that there is no algae in your tank but I attribute that to the fact that you have a lot of big algae eaters in your tank (tangs, dwarf angels).

You can have a ratio of Blue/Royal Blue/white=100:100:50 and coral will grow well and colorful.

It depend on what kind of red led, If it is deep red, turn it down, if it is just red, shut it off.
As red will actually effect coral photosynthesis. The white LED will take care of the red spectrum and extra red is pretty bad.
For people who have those eBye black box, consider moding it by taking the red LED out.

For hydra HD owners, red channel is one to turn down and divert the juice to blues.

If your fixture has no white LED, turn down the red channel and put on t-5 supplement.

On a side note, if one wants to keep hair algae, marco algae, etc, keep the red up. The algae will thank you.
Check on RC for how to take out those red LED and replace them with violet or blue.

Please keep in mind that the report was published by the manufacture themselves.
The said LED light in the report was three years old technology without any update so far and that is another fact to look into. Did LED achieve perfection three years ago? It is up to one to decide.

By reading that report, there are several things that caught my eyes:
1. The egg crate is so clean and white, without a trace of deposit of coraline algae and other growth.
2. On page 11, their Alk is 8 to 9 ppm? It is an honest mistake I believe but the report from such a company should be more carefully proof read.

Back