LED lighting system any good?

i'd stay away from that, doesnt look like it was built with high output LED's, don't think those would have the intensity needed to penetrate the water.

I doubt that you'll find anyone that has used it but I would say definitely not.

For one it's only 52 watts through 900LEDs which means they're VERY VERY low power which means no penetrating depth. Plus it likely does not capture the correct color spectrums needed, etc. It may work for a fish only tank but not for what you want, at all.

It's cheap, you get what you pay for...

Yea I have looked at that light for my frag tank (the two panel one). Its just not enough power. I am going with two Par38's instead. I would be amazed if those panels could grow anything, especially through water...

Jordan

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

looks like a piece of garbage to me, go with cree leds if you can...black star fixtures are good, not sure if they still make them for aquariums

If you're looking for a cheap LED set up check out THIS

They're GU10 bulbs from China BLUE and WHITE bulbs for about $5 or $6 bucks... Buy some GU10 sockets on ebay ($10ish from American and cheaper from overseas) and splice them into an extension cord... I did a 16 bulb set up for my 25 gallon cube for under $150 IIRC... I'm getting good growth and at first I bleached out and killed some SPS because it was too intense :(

If you're looking for a cheap LED set up check out THIS

They're GU10 bulbs from China BLUE and WHITE bulbs for about $5 or $6 bucks... Buy some GU10 sockets on ebay ($10ish from American and cheaper from overseas) and splice them into an extension cord... I did a 16 bulb set up for my 25 gallon cube for under $150 IIRC... I'm getting good growth and at first I bleached out and killed some SPS because it was too intense :(

I dont have a canopy... so there is no way for this to work without having a canopy. But If I could make a canopy it could be done... I have a 55 gallon tank that is 48" long. What do you think the cost would be for my tank? I have a 240 watt T5 fixture right now and I HATE it. It makes algae grow, the ballasts are on their way out, and I hate having to replace the bulbs. I hate the color the daylights put off on T5's too. But I like the color your LED's put in your tank. So for that similar intensity what would it cost me in your opinion?

Here's the orig thread that Ray turned me onto http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=267432

I can't remember for certain but I'm pretty if you read the whole thread there is somebody in there with a 55... I think he has something in the mid 20's for bulbs... I bet you could get away with 24 if the canopy is a standard height off the tank...

I know the kid that built that light setup. He has an amazing tank with amazing growth using those LED's. He does builds on the side (cheap). PM me if anyone is interested.

Saw the tank in person amazing! He is building me one for my nano if all works well will be converting the 300DD to led.

I have 4 of those cheap panels on my 95 gal wave tank its 900LED lights and its only a total of like 50 watts ....its maybe at best equivlant to having 2 - T5 bulbs . I have it on my FOWLR tank and its prefect lighting for that but deffinetly not for corals at all, not even soft corals .......hope this helps you. -Jack

the ones I have seem to work pretty well from what I can tell, good polyp extension on my sps.................I haven't had them for long however.

That picture in the eBay auction is photoshopped. The tank looks exactly the same color wise and the only differance is the wall is whiter on the all white LED fixture. Another dead give away is the yellow tank is in the exact place in the picture

Hi
thanks
but ok, it is photoshopped but what is wrong with the LEDs , I mean what is the downside of this one vs more expensive...... (no dimmers)
I have two and I am happy (enough) with them.....

for me I had to replace my MHs anyway so for about $120 more I figured I would try LEDs, , my SPS look better (but to be fair that could be anything)......................

Hi
thanks
but ok, it is photoshopped but what is wrong with the LEDs , I mean what is the downside of this one vs more expensive...... (no dimmers)
I have two and I am happy (enough) with them.....

for me I had to replace my MHs anyway so for about $120 more I figured I would try LEDs, , my SPS look better (but to be fair that could be anything)......................

Didn't say there was anything wrong with the LEDs but I am skeptical of those Chinese made generic LED fixtures that are all over the internet. You'll have to wait long term to see how they do 5-6 months down the line. I've had Acan Lighting, Reef Brite and DIY LEDs. All did their job but had drawbacks; my SPS grew like weeds but everything else did just okay or stopped growing on all three of the previous LED fixtures I had. My opinion is that you need more than royal blue and cool white LEDs in a fixture to get REAL full spectrum. This is an evolving technology. Remember when T5HO came out; no one said you could grow SPS under them. Then a variety of differant bulbs came out and it was found you could. I currently have a Radion and I'm extremely impressed.

Last edited:
The gu10 bulbs are not bad, fun DIY project. I had them for three months but didnt like the look. I re-config the bulbs and use them for my planted tank. I also have the Taotronics led that Frank mention. It is comparable to my 5bulb t5 in overall tank coverage. Good polyp extensions on SPS and LPS, BTA loves it. It is no where near the AI Sol or Radion LEDs.

Back