LEDs and GFCI

biscuit

Non-member
I've been doing some research and I have a question for those with LED light fixtures.

It looks like some have reported problems with a GFCI tripping frequently when connected to LED lights. Is there an explanation for this? Should I NOT replace the standard outlet where I plan to set up my tank and instead use one of the corded GFCI units in one plug and have the LED fixture plugged in the other?

Anyone out there have their LED fixture plugged into a GFCI without problems?

FYI - I am planning on purchasing a JBJ LED Nanocube which is why I am asking if that matters. Thanks!

Granted my LED fixture has only been running a month, but it has yet to trip my GFCI outlet *knock on wood*.

There is no reason for any light to trip a GFCI outlet unless there is an issue with the fixture or connection which needs to be fixed.

Thoretically, every circuit in your house could be wired to a GFCI outlet or curcuit breaker and you should not have any issues. (Ok, dedicated appliance outlets like for a refridgerator may be exceptions to the rule)

same here, no issues.

from wiki page on the web:

A ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) or Residual Current Device (RCD) is a device that shuts off an electric circuit when it detects that current is flowing along an unintended path, possibly through water or through a person. It is used to reduce the risk of electric shock. It works by measuring the current leaving the hot side of the power source and comparing it to the current returning to the neutral side. If they are not equal, this means that some of the current is flowing along an unintended path, and the GFCI shuts the power off. When the problem is corrected, the GFCI can manually be reset by pushing the reset button. There is also a test button that can be used to verify that the GFCI works. It is recommended to test GFCIs at least once a month. GFCIs are required in kitchens, bathrooms, unfinished basements, garages, outdoors, and anywhere near a sink. GFCIs are available in two types for permanent installation, the circuit breaker type that installs in the panel, and the receptacle type that installs in a normal electrical box. GFCIs that attach to appliance cords are also available. These are often found on hair dryers. Although GFCIs are designed primarily to protect from electric shock, they can also prevent some fires, in particular fires that result from a live wire touching metal conduit.

GFCIs can be used to upgrade older two-prong (non-grounded) outlets to three-prong (grounded) outlets without installing any new wire. This is safer than using the two-to-three prong adapter, as the adapter may not connect the appliance to ground at all. The GFCI is installed in the electrical box without connecting the ground screw (as there is no ground wire). A label that says "No Equipment Ground" must be placed on the GFCI outlet and all downstream outlets. Several of these labels are usually included with the GFCI.

some thing is amiss if it trips.

Thanks for the responses guys. Maybe all the problems reported have more to do with DIY LED setups that haven't been properly assembled or a fault somewhere else that people aren't diagnosing properly. This makes me feel better about swapping out the plug instead of using a corded GFCI.

There is no reason for any light to trip a GFCI outlet unless there is an issue with the fixture or connection which needs to be fixed.

Thoretically, every circuit in your house could be wired to a GFCI outlet or curcuit breaker and you should not have any issues. (Ok, dedicated appliance outlets like for a refridgerator may be exceptions to the rule)

This ^^ if it trips a GFCI then there's a short to ground somewhere in the light which makes it all the more dangerous to have it near a big box of saltwater ;) I've seen a lot of the factory cord caps come with shorts in them. Can drive you crazy because you wouldn't think to check that if it's factory.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Back