LFS water spilled into tank during acclimation...Oh the horror

LosingSleep

Non-member
Well... it may be OCD but my clown has white tips on its fins and I'm not feeling very good about it. It could easily be my imagination because I can't focus on the fins while it's moving, but I'm seeing what I think are white spots.

Looks like I'll be setting up a QT tomorrow. All thoughts/suggestions are more than welcome.

Just a dip? Suggested medication?

Quarantine? For how long?

If I see spots on the firefish fins, how do you suggest catching a firefish?...let it jump and pick it up off the carpet?

newbie question.... are you saying the mix of LFS water and your water caused the white spots? :confused:

I just had a very similar problem, what were you adding to your tank? The water that I got into my tank wiped out my 2 Blood shrimp that I had for a year, 1 cleaner, 2 emeralds, a Tang and my goby. My friends just lost a seahorse as well due to the water. I wish you luck. This was all at the same time.

I just had a very similar problem, what were you adding to your tank? The water that I got into my tank wiped out my 2 Blood shrimp that I had for a year, 1 cleaner, 2 emeralds, a Tang and my goby. My friends just lost a seahorse as well due to the water. I wish you luck. This was all at the same time.

How much water did you get in your tank?

65 gallons and I have a 46 bow..lol
No Seriously, I bought a few things the bags were floating and I had a few flip on me. So maybe a few large fish bags full..

I don't think I'd suspect the water. I'd suspect the fish swimming in the LFS water. If there are any parasites in that bag, I'd bet most of them will be stuck to the fish. So I wouldn't obsess about the LFS water. Instead, I'd put your attention towards not introducing a sick fish into your display.

As for your clown with possible white spots, personally, I'd just feed good food, maybe with some garlic, and some selcon or other additive. Keep water quality superior, and watch to see how everyone's doing. If the tank and fish are healthy, they'll get over it in a day or two.

I would definately run some carbon, just incase there was any medications in the water. If I am not mistaken some\most LFSs run medicated system.

You could just use the juice from a jar of minced garlic, most of them are basically just garlic and water.

Make sure it is in water not oil.

But on the safer side just buy the cloves and use a garlic press to squeeze the garlic juice.

Back