Lfs

TBoisvert

Non-member
Just had to post this. I went to a lfs over the weekend in Marlboro and could not believe the prices. It was INSANE. I had purchased a sailfin tang a couple weeks ago and paid about $33.00 for him, which I thought was a GREAT price, well this lfs had the same size tang for $150.00 (ISN"T THAT CRAZY!!!!) When I told the person that was working there, he said that "they took special care in their live stock". I then replied that they had a frag tank with huge bubble algae all over EVERYTHING, including the powerheads. He said, "yea, we have a bit of an algae problem". That wasn't the only overpriced item. All of the corals were ridiculous - leather toadstool was 99.00, very small zoa frag (peach) was 56.00 - there was nothing under 56.00.

small perculas were around 35.00 a piece.

Just couldn't believe it.

I know the EXACT place you went. Don't worry there are alot of very good stores out there and a great palce to start is some of our sponsors.

I do a lot of shopping at the store that you are referring to. Their dry goods are very resonably priced and they sell used and blemished equipment as well at good prices however their livestock is overpriced. You have to take the bad with the good at each store I guess. I just don't buy livestock from there.

I got my 180 there. Great prices on blemished tanks and dry goods. I've never bought any live stock there though, way over priced......

He's overpriced because he has no buying power. Simple as that. He puts a huge effort into his other business and is often left scraping until he can put together orders. When he does place an order, he has nowhere to put the stock. He can't order in "bulk" and that is one reason why he can't get competitive pricing. Also, I've heard that he's been "past due" with some and that'd be another reason he can't get good pricing structure.

All in all, the store has come a long way. It has always been the Building 19 of LFS. On a good day, you could pass 1/2 off his isles without getting stuck with boxes etc. It's much more organized lately. Also, rumor has it that he's hired lots of help and is working to bring up the retail side of his business.

I buy dry goods there. He's always had the stuff I need in "emergencies". If I buy livestock there, I shop first. I did get a decent clam there for a trade in of pocillipora. :)

D

Ba19Ma88 said:
I know the EXACT place you went. Don't worry there are alot of very good stores out there and a great palce to start is some of our sponsors.

I have only done business with our sponsors. They are great... I was just shocked at the prices is all. I happened to pass it and stop in. I did buy some cleaner shrimp though and some algae for a refug.

Back