Life of 150 Watt Metal Halide DE Bulbs

johnbarr

Non-member
Just trying to guage when is it best to changeout DE metal halide bulbs? Also I have softies and lps and was wondering what is the best replacement bulb? Thanks.

That's a very broad question.

What kind of 150 bulb are you replacing? How do you like the current bulb? Would you like more intenisty, more blue, more white, exct in the new blub?

There is no one best bulb :)

What did you think of those blubs?

Pheonix 14K lamps are popular, with a nice blueish color and deccent PAR and lifespan.

Ushio 14K lamps are more white than the phoenix lamps, and IME/IMO (subjective, no concrete measurement done) probably have higher PAR/intenisty.

Outside of 14K lamps, in general as you go higher in K temp (blue color) you go lower in PAR (actual intesity of light the corals get) and lifespan of the lamps. 20K lamps are an eerie blue color and last about 6 months, 10K lamps look kind of yellowish but have GREAT intensity and last up to a year or more.

Thanks Jimmy. I have been running the bulbs for about 14 months. I have been noticing that my corals do not look like they are doing as well as as before. So I guesss it might be time for a change.

Back