light hanging qustion

animal877

Non-member
so i recently purchased a 2 metal halide light fixture for my 75. its a nice light and hase plenty of power. unfortunitly my tank has gotten WAY WAY WAY to hot during the day and i fear the loss of some of my better corals. now atm the light is at most 4 inches from the water and if i add the glass lids i have the tank will peak over 90 but even without the lights its in the high 80s. frankly im surprised my fish r ok let alon my corals. any who tomorrow when i get up i need to fix it and hopefully this isnt to late. im going to suspend the lights from the ceiling from 3 anker points and im going to get some wire at the hardware store in town. ok heres the question, how high would people recommend i hang it from the tank. im thinking 12" is that to much or to little?

If your tank is hitting over 90! I would suggest recessed lighting in the ceiling.

But seriously yea I would start with 12" should be fine.

But on the note of your tank getting that hot your livestock will suffer think about pointing a couple fans on the water

ok ill get a fan going asap and deff start at 12" and if it works maby ill lower them till the heat goes away.

thanks!

At 12in up you're going to have quite a bit of light spill... When I hung my MH fixture I also made a thick Vinyl curtain an hung it from the front edge of the fixture to the top edge of the tank.

yea but if i do that then the hole heat problem is still going to b there. for now as long as the heat goes down im happy. if it works then ill slowly move my lights down a little closer

its currently about 12 inches from the surface of the water and as of today the temp was deff alot lower and my corals started to open up again. ill leave it for a few days then try to move it down a bit. its hanging from my sealing on some wire that i left extra so i can move it down.

Back