Lighting a 36x24x16 tank? 65g? Looking for some ideas to help decide next tank.

STiTCH87

Saltwater OCD Victim
I'm starting to get interested in a 65g I saw on glasscages.com

They have a 65g wide that's 36x24x16 and let me tell you, that's some good looking dimensions!

It's a bit more gallons than I wanted, but the footprint is nice so i'm thinking about it.

What will make me decide, I think, is what to do with lighting?

I don't want to have to blow thousands just to build my next tank, so i'm trying to keep price low.

I can get the tank, stand, and sump for around $920 shipped to Boston.

Trying to keep the lighting set up under $700 (including bulbs if I go T5)

Now the catch, i'd either want T5s or LEDs. I hate MH, and PC doesn't exist to me. Nor do I wish to do a DIY led build since I want it to be EASILY dimmed and controlled if I went LED.

Last edited:
Also thinking about a 48x18x16 that I can get for $780 shipped.

Both would have starfire and be RR.

Could I use a 24" 6-bulb T5 fixture on the 36" tank, or a 36" 6-bulb fixture on a 48" tank?

Would either one be okay with maybe just one radion or one maxspect?

2 ai panels or radeons is always a good choice. Have not owned them personally but lots of close friends do. Thats what im trying to do for my next build

2 ai panels or radeons is always a good choice. Have not owned them personally but lots of close friends do. Thats what im trying to do for my next build

+1. Or a pair of Chinese dimmable LED.

What are these Chinese LEDs I hear everyone talking about lately? I keeping seeing posts talking about Chinese LEDs and some certain eBay fixture. Same thing? What's up?

WOW... That's one incredible deal. Looks like they give pretty darn good light too. Hopefully this gives the American companies a kick in the a** to start lowering their astronomical prices.

There's absolutely no reason for LEDs to be as expensive as they are here in the states.

The $750 Radion costs EcoTech literally like $50 in supplies per unit to make at the most i'm sure.

Radion has wireless built in with controller and more fun to play with. Cutting edge always comes with a higher price.
I think we will see controllable chinese LED for cheap soon.
IMO, I don't need the controller, not even the dimmer to grow and enjoy coral.

I'm using the dimmable LED"s and love them. Without a PAR meter, dimmable is good to get the correct light. My corals respond to the smallest change in light intensity--both good and bad.

I have a 65 gal. and really like it. I upgraded from a BC29 two years ago. I just purchased two of the dimmable LED 120W(just blues and whites) fixtures for it. They came in on Friday. Let me tell you, they are bright. I have not yet mounted them to my tank, but they appear to be much brighter than the 2X150W MH Sunpod I have now.

I have a 65 gal. and really like it. I upgraded from a BC29 two years ago. I just purchased two of the dimmable LED 120W(just blues and whites) fixtures for it. They came in on Friday. Let me tell you, they are bright. I have not yet mounted them to my tank, but they appear to be much brighter than the 2X150W MH Sunpod I have now.

Do you have any photos of your 65g? Have you mounted the lights yet? Also, where did you get the tank? I'm going to be ordering mine from GlassCages (IDC who does and doesn't like them so some people will need to bite their tongues).

Sounds like you're doing the same setup.

I'm going 48x18x16 rimless starfire with a custom stand, 20L sump, not reef-ready per-se, but drilled once on either back wall and one hole will have a Glass-Holes overflow, the other will have the return line.
Then i'm doing two 120w ebay LEDs. They have a setup that has all CREE LEDs with 7 spectrum in it including reds, greens, uv, etc.

Dude go with the new Kessil Tuna Blues. I have the other Kessils (ocean blue). They do a great job of lighting up my 90. I only have two of them too. The new kessils are a little more pricey though, do to the fact that you can control the whites ad blues seperatly. The ones i have were 265.00 each. i think the newer ones are like 399.00 each. Then again, if you spend that much you should prob. just go with AI sols. The older kessils are fantastic though.

No I did not get the lights mounted yet. Not sure if I am gong to hang them or put them in the canopy I have for it. I am not sure they will be high enough for good light coverage. I got the tank from a member on here, it is an AGA. Here is a picture of it from last year.
IMG_2998.jpg

the best option would probably be this. http://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...-6violet-36white-12blue/317880_573067376.html
the 120s dont have optics and are not clustered like the nova series. read the reefcentral thread they all recommend this.

The ones I am getting have optics...
http://reefbreeders.com/value_led_fixtures.html
Carclo Optics in fact, which are high-end.

Check out that link and tell me it doesn't look like a sweet light.
40 LEDs (mostly CREE) at a total of 88watts which is just over 2W per LED that are each 3W ran low to keep lifespan long.

300PAR at 24" is good stuff too.

OH! And did I mention it is an American seller and that it's also available on eBay so you have Buyer Protection and can earn eBucks too? Yeah... Good stuff. Lol.
And to Dekon, that's a pretty damn nice tank. Much different dimensions than what I plan to build though. =]

48x18x16 so its kinda like laying that on its side lol.

Last edited:
Back