Listing new price in the post when selling used stuffs

reef87

Non-member
I have seen in a few used equipment for sale posts where people have mentioned of the new price tag if they were to buy it new. Wasnt sure why they do this.
For example: a used mp40wes selling for $200. They said new $450
Well this isnt true any more
The new Quiet One mp40 new now just $350 and the regular mp40 is no longer in production. If there is then the price must be less than $350, cant be higher than the new Quiet model.

So saying full new price tag (example: new $450) on something that is no longer in production or something tthat their MSRP has been reduced or slashed sometimes could be a misleading to other fellow reefers who are looking for just the right stuffs.

Well just wanted to see what other people thoughts are on this.

Last edited:
Who cares what they post? Perhaps they do it to inform they buyer, perhaps to show what they paid versus what they want to sell it for. Maybe every seller doesn't know something has been discontinued or the price has dropped. Like everything, it's up to the buyer to do their homework.

I'd say that it's very bad manners to try to do something like that with the intention of deceiving the potential buyer. I can also see it happening innocently if the seller hasn't been following MSRP changes on something they already have.

Regardless I would say it's up to the buyer to reality check anything in a for sale post. I know as a moderator there is no way I'm going to sign onto a new rule that would then put it on us to fact check these things. Buyer be cautious, buyer beware. Or to quote Stalin and later Regan quoting Stalin; Trust but verify

Agreed with John. If I see something that says it's $200 and is $450 new, whether the price has since dropped or not, you are still saving money over buying new, so why care?
If anything, for me, it gives a suggestion as to how much money you are saving.

I can't speak for everyone, but I personally like that thought.

Then again, if you are going to drop all that money on product, you should know it's current sale price anyways I would think. :)

IIRC I think this was on a for sale thread where the item in question itself was new or close to NIB wasn't it? That would further make sense.

I think anyone who is rubbed the wrong way by things should contact an Admin before making an entire thread about it also. Just my 0.02

"Contact the Admin" - Gee what would I do about it :D

I liken this to ebay. If very much annoys me when I see people massively misrepresenting things to try to snare a sucker in and make a quick buck.
ie; "coarllife super skimmer 100, $950 value, buy it now for $475.

But good luck reporting that to Ebay. Ebay isn't doing anything about it.

I also think it's particularly important for the buyer to educate themself in this hobby because we have some very expensive equipment that can lost a LOT of it's value with use and or abuse. For example, I have a nice workhorse Iwaki pump that has a MSRP of close to $400. It's 10 years old, has about of 8 years of wear and tear, and is very rusty on the outside. If I manage to sell that pump for $350 then I am massively misleading the buyer, the buyer is an idiot, or both :)

"Contact the Admin" - Gee what would I do about it :D

I liken this to ebay. If very much annoys me when I see people massively misrepresenting things to try to snare a sucker in and make a quick buck.
ie; "coarllife super skimmer 100, $950 value, buy it now for $475.

But good luck reporting that to Ebay. Ebay isn't doing anything about it.

I also think it's particularly important for the buyer to educate themself in this hobby because we have some very expensive equipment that can lost a LOT of it's value with use and or abuse. For example, I have a nice workhorse Iwaki pump that has a MSRP of close to $400. It's 10 years old, has about of 8 years of wear and tear, and is very rusty on the outside. If I manage to sell that pump for $350 then I am massively misleading the buyer, the buyer is an idiot, or both :)

Lol "what would I do about it?" You'd listen to this complaint so that we don't, of course. :-D

y compalin about it if u dont wanna buy it for that price go some where else and stop being a troll .............

People package things all types of way if you do not like it then move on to the next seller. I see cases for presenting it this way. Say you just bought an Apex kit and a month later you get out of the hobby due to reason you didn't see or something. I can see posting the original price when you are asking close to retail for it.

On the flip side when they post a link to the place I know has the highest price known to man then I see it as shady.

Also people will see the way others post and just copy it without thinking much about it, other than it seemed to be a decent way to present it.

In the end does it really make a difference one way or another?

Back