Long rigid tube

dcforester1

Finally enjoying my tank
Looking to buy a long rigid tube to go in a bucket of kalk. I am looking to put a tube into the solution, but 1/4 tubing just bends. I was thinking of attaching it to a strip of acrylic. I was also thinking of getting sometype of bulkhead to go into the side of the bucket. I always see people getting fancy ones to go on buckets, but dont know where to get one.

If anyone has any ideas on where to go to buy one, or a better way to do it. I would appreciate it.
Thanks Derek

If your mixing the kalk in the bucket, remember that you don't want the water to be drawn off of the very bottom as that would suck up the settled mix and clog your lines and dump raw kalk mix into the tank.

Ideally, you want the line your drawing from to be an inch or two up from the bottom, and actually pointed down so that chunks of mix won't settle into the line. I'd probably use that little bulkhead thing, and then on the inside of the bucket, attach a section of RO tube that is coiled into 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 circles and zip tied to keep it that way. (this needs a visual...)

Edit, adding that visual :)

Attachments

• IMG_2118.jpg
    IMG_2118.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 238
Last edited by a moderator:
The on problem I see is if it ever leaked, I would drain a whole bucket. I am also thinking of mixing up a 50gal drum at a time, so I dont know if I want something hanging at the bottom. I was thinking the tube in case of failure. Do you mix the kalk, or once its mixed you leave it?
Thanks Derek

I hear ya, safe is smart.

I have used that little fitting on the bottom of a bucket full of water for yrs and never had a problem, but you never know.

If you use the acrylic tube, just cap/plug the very bottom, then drill a hole or two up a couple of inches so it draws the water there.

Personally, I've always used kalk reactors, but that doesn't mean reactors are better. IIRC Randy H-F prefers to use a garbage can full of kalk (I'm not sure why he prefers that, but he's the chemist so I take note ;) )

Here's my mini kalk reactor before and after mixing. @ 1 Gal / day drips through this. The drip is shut off for the stirring and doesn't come back on for a while after to let the mix settle again.

Attachments

• IMG_2119.jpg
    IMG_2119.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_2120.jpg
    IMG_2120.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 219
Last edited by a moderator:
Did you make that?

In my sleep :cool:

Just kidding.
Yes I did make that, though I bought the flange kit. (this was before Liam's flange thread). Kalk reactors are one of the easiest DIY acrylic projects. You need a flange, a base, and two connections to the pump. That's it, much simpler than a Ca reactor or skimmer.

Here's a PVC reactor since I have a feeling your working on something similar :)

Attachments

• IMG_1562.jpg
    IMG_1562.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 187
jimmyj [url said:
http://www.marinedepot.com/JG_1_4_inch_x_1_4_inch_Bulkhead_Grey_John_Guest_Parts_for_RO_DI_Water_Filter_Systems-JG-RO5411-FIROJG-vi.html[/url]

Is that a stainless steel nut on there?

Yea, I don't think the nut is stainless, but with it on the outside it doesn't seem to be any problem.

Back