Looking for a skimmer for a 200 gallon build what would you go with??

littlereef

Non-member
O.K. this has to be a external pump skimmer and it's part of a build for a freind of mine. Since he has never built a tank before I told him I'd give him a hand. The set up will be two 120 gallon tanks piped together one on first floor one in the basement. Part of the 120 G in the basement will be use as a sump and the other half as a display rufugium. I want to find a good skimmer for the set up what do you think we should go with? I have a Berlin xl hanging around do you think this would do it?

you really need to list a price range on these sort of things... skimmers vary in prices very greatly, i could make recommendations on different levels depending upon how much money the guy is willing to spend.. but one recommendation i will make is that the berlin skimmer probably wont do much good.. and one piece of additional advice that i'll give you is that you probably dont want to skimp on the skimmer.. spending more now will mean not having to upgrade in the future, and will also mean a better looking tank in the future.

Thanks for the post Joel. Price is not a big thing as long as it does everything we want it to do. I would like to set this up right the first time for him. Again thanks any info from anyone that will help to make this a great build. When I get all the info I need and all the parts to this system I will start a new thread posting how it is moving along with pics. Thank for any help guys.

I strongly agree with what Joel said. For a system of 220G you can get a deccent performing skimmer for a few hundred $s, or you can get a premium performing super efficient self cleaning top shelf model and spend many thousands. There is a tremendous range of options. And yes, the berlin is useless and skimping on a skimmer will be regretable.

What are your friend's priorities?
-effectiveness
-effiency
-amount of maintence needed (loaded question since all skimmers need regular cleanings unless you spend an extra grand or three for a self cleaning set up)
-limitations on space?
-is noise a problem?
-does your friend value reefing "bling", or are they the more practical type?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back