looking for new fish store...north of boston

new2saltyfish

Non-member
i live in stoneham and as far as i know there is not a fish store within 30-40 minutes of me. Ive been to a previous store in NH thats on these boards but became very unhappy with their service so am looking for a new home:). Any recommendations that aren't in Boston with traffic and aren't too far from me?

Is Sea Creatures in Revere (or Saugus, can't remember) still around? That was a decent store from what I remember.

Jay's in Salem, Aquarium World in Watertown, Pet City in Seabrook(not sure how good they are)

Sea Creatures/ Salt Water City, is closed down. I dont think he is reopening. To bad I liked that place, good guys.

is there one in stoneham??? i think there was years ago...before i had a tank...and now their closed...But that new one in redstone, do they have salt water? Jay's used to be my home but since the new store, i wasn't pleased with the service. I loved when B had his store in billerica but now with skiptons in boston, the traffic just sucks. i went to Sea Creatures when i first started and they wanted $90 for a normal hippo tang, and $200 for a tiny green zoa rock and i haven't been back since....I haven't been to AA since the new owners but i think im going to give them a try tomorrow.

Last edited:
I would def give Jays a try again.It does get crazy in there, but its like a barber shop. If you are in a rush shop elsewhere. Theres nothing wrong with looking around for awhile. If you were unhappy with the way you were treated I would tell jay or his Dad. They are good guys, and want the cust happy. Skiptons is good, just have to find the right time to head in. Tropic Isle is good for window shopping, unless you have some $$$$$ to spend.

il head up to jays again but i did try contact...on the phone anyway and it was to no avail. When he had that small shop he was my only shop and was by far the best with customer service. Even though his selection was less, he would put an order in for you and it would be in within a week, poor guy just has too much on his plate with the new store.

I too have done all the fish stores north of the city. From where your at Skipton's would be my first pick. You need to go there during the day before 2pm or so or go later just before they close on weekdays. You really can't beat the knowledge base there with B, Anthony, and Ed.

AA is very good on prices and not nearly the zoo that can be Jay's. Pat has a lot of good fish and has been good about ordering specific fish I was looking for. His coral selection is not huge but representative. It is very close to Jay's as well so I usually do them at the same time. They also usually have the best prices on dry goods and stocks a lot of stuff from Bulk Reef Supply that the other don't as well as CPR stuff, Brightwell Aquatics supplements, and he has a good deal on boxes of Instant Ocean.

If you are willing to venture south Coral Reef Aquarium is a nice place for coral.

I am sorry to hear about Salt Water City as I went there just once after they moved and it looked they had a lot of space to grow into.

A small little shop to check out is Pets Plus up in Londonderry. Matt got me a great deal on my new tank and he has a small, well priced selection of fish. There is also one in Tewksbury but it has only like 3 or 4 tanks of salt.

do you know what the one in tewksbury is called? thats fairly close. B was definitely key in billerica, i went to skiptons once...before he really got settled in and it was just a PITA to get to. Il have to try before 2pm on a weekday...i went on a weekend and it was a PITA.

there use to he a place in Wakefield center, but that was years ago and I do not Know if it is still there. There also use to be a place in Wilmington too, but not sue if it's still open or not..

It is also Pets Plus. Matt owns both of them. They have just a stack I think 3 high of salt so not much past the basic types of fish and some supplies. He has a lot more up in Londonderry and can order anything you want. He says he can get better prices than anyone on tanks and in my case he was very right by at least a $100.

Pets Plus
2286 Main Street, Tewksbury, MA‎ - (978) 658-0860‎

Back