Looking to borrow or buy your dwyer air meter

dedfish

That's Mr.Murphy to you!
I'd like to do some work on my skimmer this weekend and I'm looking to borrow (or buy if I must) a dwyer air meter. Does anyone have one semi local to Boston that could help me out?

The club should buy one of these and pass it along with the light meter. If it goes with the light meter it won't be any extra work tracking it.

Chuck I would like to borrow it sometime to compare the euro-reef before and after the mesh mod.

Dwyer

You are welcome to borrow it. Just give me a call or PM me and as soon as I get it back from dedfish you can take it.

I should make you, and anyone else who wants to borrow it, aware however that it measures scfh from 20 to 200. I got the meter that best fit the air draw range of my skimmer so it may not be useful for skimmers that draw less than the 20 schf minimum on the meter.

Another thing: My skimmer is supposed to draw around 75 scfh, but i measure at best 35 scfh. I talked to a few people over at RC that got me wondering if the internal meter air channel (~1/8") is restricting air flow from my 1/2 inch venturi air hose. When I connect the thing up the water level in my skimmer drops. Others have observed the reverse: The water level rises because the pump actually pumps more water and less air. They also claim that the pump draws more current with the meter attached to the venturi on the skimmer.

Maybe I need a larger bore air meter that provides less air flow restriction? anyhow, I would be interested in any air flow numbers you get from this meter and how they compare with your skimmer's advertised air flow performance numbers, as well as the diameter of your skimmer's venturi hose/inlet.

Chuck I would like to borrow it sometime to compare the euro-reef before and after the mesh mod.

Last edited:
Looks like the 3500 won't get anywhere close to 20scfh so I doubt the meter would do me a lot of good. Thanks for the offer anyways.

I have a dwyer that goes from 5-50 scfh and also a killawatt but I'm on the cape. You're welcome to borrow it if you wanted to make the trip.

I was able to take a quick reading last night. I'm getting around 23 SCFH. I'm not sure what my advertised rate is, I'm guessing something like 12 or 14? The diameter of the air house is 1/4 ID.

Chuck,

Sure sounds like it's restricting flow, you want the measuring device to measure the flow rate without being part of it.

Jim

I'd imagine the meter is restricting flow for Chuck. His skimmer is one heck of a beast and using an airline that is much bigger than that of the 1/4 diameter bottleneck of the meter.

Air Flow

Jason, when you conect the meter what happens to the water level in the skimmer?

I was able to take a quick reading last night. I'm getting around 23 SCFH. I'm not sure what my advertised rate is, I'm guessing something like 12 or 14? The diameter of the air house is 1/4 ID.

Meter

Yes, when I bought the meter I purposely got the one that I thought would be appropriate for my skimmer. The meter goes up to 200 scfh so I thought it would work. Any thoguhts?

Chuck,

Sure sounds like it's restricting flow, you want the measuring device to measure the flow rate without being part of it.

Jim

Damn...I was reading it wrong. When I connect the meter the little ball hovers right under the 20 mark. The water level doesn't appear to change or changes so little that I can tell.
airmeter-large.jpg

Last edited:
I noticed that euro-reef has the input on their recirc models at the same level as the pump input. I don't know if you could get a uniseal and change the input. This might help with turbulence.

I was also reading last night about people doing direct port air injection instead of venturi. It seemed to work well.

Back