Mag Pump Tripping GFI

starrfish

Non-member
I have a mag pump that I use for water changes. It started tripping the GFI every once in a while, then all the time. And sometimes I get a shock from it.:mad: Is this pump trash, or can someone with some electrical knowledge fix it? I won't attempt to fix it myself, but I'd rather give it to someone who can fix it than throw it away.

ps...I forgot to add that I have been known to lift the pump out of the water change container by it's plug.:eek:

That's what I thought, but I wanted to double check. Thanks for the quick replies guys. Out to the trash it goes.

strip the parts before you toss it. Impellar and housing cover and other bits are good to keep, or give away. I just recently trashed a housing cover, and another reefer with a dead pump came to my rescue. :D

agreed dump it now ( after you strip parts ) i had the same thing happen with my gfci but did not realize it was a heater , next thing you know....tank crash. now i will now better :)

It's possible that it has a bad connenction at the plug.Plug it in and move,wiggle, rotate the wire where it meets the plug if it comes and goes or trips the gfi you can replace the plug for couple bucks.

I have the same problem with the 24 model. I returned it immediately. Ifi were you, i would call up the manufacture and complain vigorously and ask them to replace you a different one. Electrical leakeage from the pump is considered serious defect and can tell them you suffer electrical shock....etc...... they will want to compensate you for your suffering :D just an idea :D provided you really got the shock though. and no i did not tell you to make up the story. :)

Back