Mandarin Question

JayM

Is the algae gone yet?
BRS Member
I have a very healthy male green mandarin. It is so fat from the pods in my fuge that it needs lipo.

I have been getting it ready to move up to my 72G display, but in Michael's Marine Fishes, it says they will be eaten by sea anemones. My 72 has 2 LARGE rose anemones, and 2 smaller BTAs. Is this going to pose a problem? I would dump the BTAs, but the rose are very pretty.....

Question 2 is, with a yellow tang, pair of false percs, starry blenny and 4 lyretail anthias, there shouldn't be much competition for the pods in the tank, correct?

I know someone that has 2 mandarins in their tank with 2 anemones. I can't really give you a concrete answer, but they have not had a problem.

Each of our tanks has a mandarin and an anemone. We've not had any problems, with the mandarin being eatenby the anemone.

BTAs regardless of color aren't really strong fish eaters. they go for smaller stuff. Carpets, especially haddoni are the worst fish eating offenders. Magnificas seem to be primarily crustacean eaters in my experience, but they have taken a few chromis in my tank.

I'd say you'd be fine... BTA i doubt even has a big enough mouth to eat the mandarin..

On question two... lots of fish will eat pods IME, but the mandarin just eats more. I would think it should be fine, i think the blenny might consume quite a few, but my guess is you'd be ok.

I have a mandarin in with a BTA and Ritteri, he knows whats good. I think these animals have a genetic knowledge of what not to go near, but thats just my opinion.

Back