Mechanical filtration on a 75g w/ sump

thenine

Non-member
Hi all,
I have a 75g plumbed to a 30 gallon sump where I keep my return, skimmer, heaters, and a refugium. The tank is still settling, and I was wondering the best way to introduce mechanical filtration into the system. Right now I have a filter bag over the return into the tank to skim some of the particles out. I had a filter on the return pump, but found it was contricting the flow of the pump unless I cleaned it every day. a couple of ideas I had was to place a large carbon bag or sponge/filter media in the drain into the refugium( I have two pipes, 1 from the tank and one teed off from the return pump spilling into a piece of 3" pvp with holes drilled lower in it)..place a large sponge or carbon bag above those holes, but still in the 3" pvp pipe? just looking for suggestions......

Why do you think you need mechanical filtration? All you need is good live rock, a good skimmer and maybe a fuge.

Dennis is correct. With those components you can do any coral.

Some people put a sock over the end of the drain line to catch particles. You would just need to clean that once a week or so.

thenine, I use an OceanClear canister on my return line as mechanical filtration.
As long as your diligent about changing the filter media, it will benefit your system
to use mechanical filtration. If you end up being lazy, all the dirt trapped by that
filter will quickly cause problems in a reeftank. Another benefit of using the canister,
is I can pack the center of the filter with carbon, or another chemical media and
100% of my return water is passed through both medias.

I use a HOT magnum with micron cartridge and my water is crystle clear.

Back