Mentor? - Gardner MA (N Worc County) area.

gweston

Non-member
I'm new to this thing but working towards getting a system together. Anyone in the area have some ability mentor or lend a hand?

Going to edge into the hobby with patience and care.

The ultimate goal. A mix community reef tank. I'd ultimately like a sargassum or blue jaw trigger and a couple tangs. Plus a few misc critters (2xclowns, inverts, jawfish). Eventually some LPS/SPS and a clam but I'll edge into it slowly over time.

Bribery with home brew beer (I have some at the moment)? Also if you are local, its good to know people in the area for those times when you need a reef-sitter when vacationing, etc.

I have misc stuff on hand already sitting in the basement.
125G 6' long tank
Stand - needs finishing up
Pumps, RODI, some liverock curing in brute, some dryrock.
Need to build a hood and screen top still.

Planning to build in an overflow. Need to drill the tank:
If anyone has experience (and tools) to drill a tank. Maybe we can make some sort of arrangement? I can be handy with tools. Just get nervous cutting holes in glass. I don't want to have a 6' long glass paperweight :eek:

I'm in S. Worc. County there's plenty of folks with knowledge in the hobby out this area of the state.Reading off what you have and don't,the lighting is going to be your BIG expense.
Have you decided on what kind,T5,halides...ect..ect.
You can get plenty of information here and I'm sure if you get stck somebody could take a road trip to your place.I have a mixed reef with clams,tangs,,ect.

I jumped ahead of myself and got a 48" 2x250Watt Halide (10K) with 2x 56wactinic (608 watt total) fixture over a month ago before I landed the tank. I was thinking to stick this in a hood and supplement the 12" on each end to start. Maybe PC daylights or LED's.

Down the line I may change to retros halides, actinics and moonlights. Not sure yet.

Everything is likely to be plumbed into a basement sump which is a 55gal acrylic. 3 sections for skimmer (left), return (middle) and fuge (right). I have a Mag18 for return. I will have space for the sump to go into the stand. I keep bouncing back and forth on what to do. Basement will mean less need to mess with a chiller and moves the noise elsewhere (need to keep the wife happy!).

-Gary

you might want to revisit the mag pump as a long term solution. They add a bunch of heat, and aren't very efficient.

Well I am in W Fitchburg just off 31 you are pretty close by, I have the glass hole saw required for a 1 inch bulk head but wouldn't want to be responsible if for some reason your tank breaks you never know. Also since you have a 4 foot fixture you could always hang it from iron pipe like I did it bolts to the stand, Your welcome to stop by and look at it and I don't use it anymore since I am running AI leds now. I also have external return pumps and a cellar sump you could look at for ideas.

Welcome nice to have someone else close by.

Rob

Sounds great Rob! I live over in South Gardner right off 2A on the Westminster town line. we're probably about 10 minutes from each other. Great to hear at least one other person in close proximity.

I'll get in touch via PM. Would love to see your setup for additional ideas.

I want to build my system right to start with. Though I may not start off with all the gadgets,bells and whistles, I'm working to set things up properly so that they can be added later with the least hassle.

Also, I wouldn't want anyone to take responsibility for any breaks for drilling (except for myself) :) I figured I'd end up getting a drill guide and holesaw from bulkreefsupply or somewhere and have a go at it. Drilling sounds scary, but I suspect it is rather easy with some care, patience, and a steady hand.

-Gary

Hi Gary,
I am in Barre, Ma about 16 miles from Gardner. Send me a pm if you are interested and we can get together and chat. You are more than welcome to visit. i have about 20 tanks set up with 1500 gals or so total volume.

Hey Gary.. I'm in Athol, glad to see another person close by.. I don't know alot but learning. I can maybe help you out with a few simple things If you need help.. I'm taking down a 90G and will be putting up a 125 in the future.. I also have 2 biocubes.. Also if you want a more powerful pump I have a Genx40 I might be interested in selling... It's an external pump..

Mike

Thanks Rob, Michele and Mike. I'll PM my info and would love to meet/chat. Glad some local reefers are around!

Back