Metal Halide Grow light/warehouse lights

Fat Guy

Non-member
Metal Halide Grow light/warehouse lights

Can these be used on reef tanks? Just curious.

3e_1_b.JPG

9a_1.JPG

I looked into that before. You can but the things are huge! You can often find them on ebay for cheap but the shipping kills the deal usually..

Really nice planted tanks you have there. I have a few myself.

How big are they? Size of a basketball? 30G tank?

I'm glad you like my planted tanks :) They're a lot cheaper than Marine :p

Just trying to find the best lighting setup for the 65 within my price range. Thanks for your feedback.

Walter

dude those things are big and bulky and a lot of them are multi vapor not halide and they are usually yellow 5000k or 6500k. I start up about 30 1000w every morning and they are loud. I think they would work for a fuge but they take up so much room even the 175's are bulky, if they had a remote ballast I don't think they would be that bad...

I think they could be used. Most of those also take medium based bulb's wich have a smaller base than regular mogul's. I don't know of any companies that make a 10k med base....

Cool. Just was wondering. I think I may run VHOs over my 65 for a softie tank. Unless I can find a good deal on a dual mh setup. The tank's got a center brace, so I think just one MH would give it a shadow.

the one's I am looking at right now are about 18"X18" (1000w) and the 175w are about 15"X24"...and now I am almost blind from staring at them....

Fat Guy said:
Cool. Just was wondering. I think I may run VHOs over my 65 for a softie tank. Unless I can find a good deal on a dual mh setup. The tank's got a center brace, so I think just one MH would give it a shadow.

That center brace is easily replaced with acrylic (while the tank is empty). I just did that on my 65g. If you're not in a hurry, wait around for a used MH deal. They come up all the time. Cheaper than a new VHO setup, and you'll get much better growth. I've got 3x175W over my 65 and the light is great. 2x175 or 250 would be great, and a single 250 might work, but you'll get shadows on the ends (at least I did in my 30g (also 36") with a single bulb).

By the way, I love the dimensions of the 65. Nice choice. :)

Nate

Back