Microbubbles, Skimmer Issue!

GottisEgo

Non-member
Hey Everyone,

So I am having a bit of an issue. I did a water change on Sunday and everything went as plan, but when I fired up the skimmer it was churning way to hard, and all of a sudden the diffuser was spewing out tons of bubbles. This in essence made my tank look like it was snowing with bubbles. I'm afraid this is effecting my torch as it's not fully open.

Any ideas? I am currently running a Coralife SuperSkimmer rated for 125 gallons. Yes I know, Coralife sucks.

Thanks!

Unproductive advice: Dump the SS125, it is a POS

Productive advice: Look over the diffuser to make sure the pad is in place, etc. Take the skimmer apart and make sure there are no restrictions, and that the level in the body is set correctly.

Did you add any additives that might make the skimmer go crazy?

Did the water level change?

I was able to slow my SS' microbubble output with a piece of filter bag at the bottom of my diffuser, but it needed to be changed out every couple of days, which was why I replaced my skimmer. Good luck

Unproductive advice: Dump the SS125, it is a POS

Productive advice: Look over the diffuser to make sure the pad is in place, etc. Take the skimmer apart and make sure there are no restrictions, and that the level in the body is set correctly.

Did you add any additives that might make the skimmer go crazy?

Did the water level change?

I was able to slow my SS' microbubble output with a piece of filter bag at the bottom of my diffuser, but it needed to be changed out every couple of days, which was why I replaced my skimmer. Good luck

Thanks! When I saw all the cheap plastic the SS was made out of, I knew I was in for a POS.

I did look over the diffuser and everything seem's to be fine, but I will take a look at it and move things around again today.

I am going to take the thing apart and make sure everything is level and good to go. It must be something very simple because all I did was put in a fresh bag of carbon and water change. Once I plugged the Skimmer back in, it was working hard and tons of bubbles.

Any skimmer suggestions? lol

You should post tank size and $ budget before you ask for skimmer suggestions, or the Bubble King folks will come out of the woodwork. I'm very fond of my octopus skimmer. I was looking at a bigger one when my TV croaked :(

You should post tank size and $ budget before you ask for skimmer suggestions, or the Bubble King folks will come out of the woodwork. I'm very fond of my octopus skimmer. I was looking at a bigger one when my TV croaked :(

Haha this is true. I am currently running a 55 but will be upgrading to a 90 by the end of the summer. Budget, no more than $300. Still saving for the Vortech's and Reactor lol. Dont wanna break my aquarium budget on a skimmer.

Then ASS_U_ME-ing your skimmer is in sump, my suggestion stands.... Octo NW200. Get the gate valve mod for it, then you can mod the needle wheel with either mesh or monofilament line. Low power draw, good skimming.

Upcoming Events

June 9, 2024
Ben Johnson
Club Meeting

Back