might buy a chiller, please help

MPevine11

my own mini ocean
so after the heat wave thread, i think i decided i want to get a chiller......

looking to get a chiller for my 29biocube hqi. my questions are:
1. what chiller would i need?
2. what will i need to hook it up?
3. is there any Chiller/heater combo type thing?
4. what should i know about chilers?

kind of worried about heat as my bedrook is small ( 8ftX12ft ), but i could blow the hot air into the hall way.......... so probaly not a big deal

thank you all
-mike pevine-

dito for me! I need one to I have a 72 bowfront thats been hitting high numbers not liking that at all . I also Want to know what would be the right size chiller. If there is a chiller heater combo them better for me. I would like one that I could use with all three tanks I have a 72 bow/46bow/125g I dont think theres one that can held the job ! but Ill take any advice? thanks advance!

A 1/15 HP chiller works great on a 29g.

I have a Current USA 1/15HP Chiller which also has a plug on the side of it which you plug your heater into. You set a temperature.

+2 degrees lower and the heater comes on.
+2 degrees higher and the chiller comes on.
If it's at that temp or within 2 degrees, both are off.
Low-electricity use and very efficient.

All you need is the chiller, a 300gph powerhead to pump water into it, and a JBJ Nano Chiller Install Kit. And voila. I got my complete chiller setup for $150. $100 for the used chiller, $20 for the install kit, and $30 for the powerhead.

Your room (funny enough) is the exact same dimensions as mine. (Sucks doesn't it?) So yeah heat isn't too bad. Likewise, blowing the air from the room into the hallway is a great idea and is what I do on a very hot day.

As for you Royalty, if all 3 tanks are routed to one sump, they DO make very large chillers that will work.

Last edited:
You know what works great for me?

For anybody out there that needs to drop the tank about 2-3 degrees, $9.99 at Walgreens should do it.

Attachments

• Fan.jpg
    Fan.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 249
That's a damn good price for a 5k BTU. Does is have a temperature setting though? Some people have their tanks near windows the a/c would go into and some A/Cs will make a tank too cold. Even my window fan makes my tank too cool which is why I bought a nice floor fan for $8 on craigslist that could blow the paint off a wall.

depending on how much cooling you need maybe look into a peltier unit, there are a few diy threads ive seen before, dont know any at the moment, otherwise the iceprobe i beleive uses that and can drop a tank a couple of degrees from what ive read

AC unit does wonders lol... even with the chiller on its going to blow hot air out and make your room even hotter! it's more economical to go with a window AC unit.. which will not only cool your tank but cool you down as well! :)

sounds good to me I only ask for a three way system do to my three tanks I figured if I could get something I should go big or just stay home! I would like a chiller just for my 72 bow which is the only one running right now. ?

That's a damn good price for a 5k BTU. Does is have a temperature setting though? Some people have their tanks near windows the a/c would go into and some A/Cs will make a tank too cold. Even my window fan makes my tank too cool which is why I bought a nice floor fan for $8 on craigslist that could blow the paint off a wall.

yeah, its all digital and has a remote. i got the 8000 btu for my 12x14 room for 150 after a rebate and it works awesome and its easier to sleep too!

can anyone list a good site for chiller I tried the sponser site but they dont have what Im looking for half of them dont even let you see there product ?

For a covered tank like the biocube, you will have to cool the room to 70 degrees for this to be effective. I have the 29g JBJ nano cube with metal halide lighting. I also have central air. The water goes over 80 degrees even with my central air at 73 degrees. In fact, my chiller comes on in the winter most days.

Keep in mind that you will have to run the room AC all the time (except for possibly at night) for this method to work on your tank.

Back