Mold/mildew on inside of tank stand

GinaD

Very Happy Red Sox Reefer
Has anyone had this happen to them? I have a Sump & Fuge under my 29-gal and suddenly I have mold or mildew growing on the inside of the stand. Should it be treated with something?
TIA

I would get rid of it, not good for you to have in the house. Vinegar will kill mold/mildew and is far less toxic than bleach.

Is the plumbing leaking or you just have splashes?
I would also remove it. Mildew and mold are bad.

As a matter of fact just 2 days ago I saw something weird on the bottom of the stand for my cichlid tank only to open the doors and find it covered with mold inside. EEEEK. I used a mild bleach and water solution to try to kill it. That worked but all I could smell for the next couple of hrs was the bleach. I would rather smell the vinigar.

Vinager works but bleach works better only problem w/bleach is....well it's bleach!wear gloves and don't drip it.Get a fan under there to draw out that damp air out.

Gina, I would try to find out where it is coming from. If you are getting it now, it will come back. If you have any carpet there and it is damp definitely look into it or at least get some mold killer in the carpet so it doesn't spread under the carpet.

Seventh Generation household cleaner works very well for killing mold- it's a mixture of peroxide and citrus-derived rapidly bio-degraded detergent (Available in the Healthfood section of most grocery stores). A vinegar-10% hydrogen peroxide solution would also work but nothing quite compares to the microbe destroying power of detergents. Just spray it on a cloth rather than the surface to limit the possibility of chemicals entering your tank.

Last edited:
Is the plumbing leaking or you just have splashes?
I would also remove it. Mildew and mold are bad.

I think it's a combination of splashes and the onslaught of the humid weather we've had lately.
I used the vinigar, and it seems to be gone for now. I'll keep a close eye on it.

Back