More Acro Flatworms!!

One Eye

former vp of pr
I saw the thread about qt or not....you be the judge.
I took these pics today from corals I picked up a little while ago. They've been in my qt. I took these photos. Use them if they can help. I think they are about the best I've seen of these pest.
First pic is of the worms-patches where worms were on a Larry Jackson purple tip (these have to be the weekest acros)

Attachments

• 2003_0119ACROFLATWORMS0012 (Custom).JPG
    2003_0119ACROFLATWORMS0012 (Custom).JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 1,036
Here's a pic of the eggs. You can see they are individual eggs not just a brown mat.

Attachments

• 2003_0119ACROFLATWORMS0023 (Custom).JPG
    2003_0119ACROFLATWORMS0023 (Custom).JPG
    35 KB · Views: 1,026
They do scrape off easily. Heres a pic of the eggs on the tip of a pocket knife.

Attachments

• 2003_0119ACROFLATWORMS0028 (Custom).JPG
    2003_0119ACROFLATWORMS0028 (Custom).JPG
    27.8 KB · Views: 991
Now, the sh*** part. I had 6 frags. I gave a last inspection with a magnifying glass, didn't see anything at all and placed 3 frags in my main tank. Got side tracked for a few hours (3-4). Went back to the frag tank. Picked up the Larry Jackson and saw the problem, looked at the 2 remaining frags and saw eggs only. The 3 I put in my tank had no tissue recession and no white spots...they looked perfectly healthy and I put them in front of a power head to watch for flatworms coming off and floating in the qt...nothing.
I know that 3-4 hours in my display is enough time for adult flatworms to leave an infected coral and find a new one, so if they had flatworms on them I'm pretty much screwed.

Mike Accardi, I read about you beating these things...what do you think my chances of still being clean are.

Anyone, if 3 of the 6 corals in the qt had the eggs, 1 had white patches from the worms themselves, but no worms, what do you think. The 3 with eggs had tissue recession at the time I picked them up. (It looked like it was just placement issues). The 3 that I put in my display have no recession what so ever and didn't at pick up either. Can I have 3 infected and 3 not??

One Eye pull them and give then a second going over with a strong magnifying glass. It sounds like they may be clean but keep an eye (at least one) on them. I'm not sure I would put them in front of a power head, you don't want to blow them onto another acro.

Denis, I put them in speciman conainers...the cheap qt system I posted before. I put them in front of the power head while they were still in the qt tank.

I also just took a frag of the LJ, a piece with a ton of the white dots. I put it in a glass of tap water. It's been there for about 5 minutes and I don't see any flatworms in the water. I've blasted it with a baster to try and free them up.

I wonder if the adults were killed in the dips before qt and just the eggs and scarring from the adults remained.

Last edited:
I'm also not going to scrape any more of the eggs off. I want to see these things moving around. My camera is a little beat up. It got dropped and I lost some settings. Maybe after they hatch someone with a good camera can catch some pics of the adults and we can add them to the thread.

It would be great to get a series of photos of different stages of development and a time line to go along with it. This could be very helpful to identify the cycle.

And BTW, these frags did not come from Chuck. They came from another club member. So, watch yourselves folks. These ARE getting passed around the club!

One Eye said:
And BTW, these frags did not come from Chuck. They came from another club member. So, watch yourselves folks. These ARE getting passed around the club!

People have been talking about that for a while. Sucks for you darren!!! Sorry to hear.

I think I dodged the bullet. I put the "clean" frags in speciman containers. I don't want to put them in the qt where I know the other frags are infected. I've inspected them repeatedly with a magnifying glass. I've hit them with the baster over and over. There are no eggs(those are easy to see with a mag glass) and no adults have been blown off. I hope my main tank is clean, but I won't be selling or trading for quite a while.
The frags in the qt...I'm out a few bucks, but if the main tank is clean I can live with that. I'm going to use the qt for experimenting on these as soon as they hatch and I have adults AND eggs to play with. Save me some of those treatments, I'd guess I'll be ready for them in a couple weeks.

One Eye said:
I think I dodged the bullet. I put the "clean" frags in speciman containers. I don't want to put them in the qt where I know the other frags are infected. I've inspected them repeatedly with a magnifying glass. I've hit them with the baster over and over. There are no eggs(those are easy to see with a mag glass) and no adults have been blown off. I hope my main tank is clean, but I won't be selling or trading for quite a while.
The frags in the qt...I'm out a few bucks, but if the main tank is clean I can live with that. I'm going to use the qt for experimenting on these as soon as they hatch and I have adults AND eggs to play with. Save me some of those treatments, I'd guess I'll be ready for them in a couple weeks.

good luck Darren. :)

One Eye said:

Ditto! Hopefully your main tank is ok.......

Darren, your chances are as good as mine were. A matter of hours before you noticed them is better than what happened to me. I honestly wish I had better advice to give.

Pull the damned infected ones out asap, and hope man.

I am going to get the magnifying glass out tomorrow and inspect.

Mike Accardi said:
Darren, your chances are as good as mine were. A matter of hours before you noticed them is better than what happened to me. I honestly wish I had better advice to give.

Pull the damned infected ones out asap, and hope man.

I am going to get the magnifying glass out tomorrow and inspect.

I expect everyones magnifying glasses are going to be getting a work out,i know mine has

I spent more than an hour inspecting my acroporas with 10x magnifier tonight.

I'm happy to report that I didn't find any flatworm :)

Back