Moving a tank in the cold

mvallee

Non-member
I am picking up a pretty large tank tomorrow and transporting in an open pickup truck, other than the physical discomfort of being outside in the cold while moving it, is there any possibility of damaging the tanks seams?
The tank is in the living space of a home so it will be going from normal home temps to somewhere around 0 degrees, that extreme temp change is what has me concerned
The tank is only 30 minutes from my house so not an extended length of time and the tank has been dry for a while so no moisture to expand.

Thinking I could wrap in a blanket but doubt that would make any difference.

My feeling is tanks get shipped to colder locations than we see here and if they get sent via air in cargo holds they would see these extremes as well so I am guessing it will be fine

Thoughts?????

I just got a tank crated and shipped from Canada last month, its still holding water.

Jim

Aquarium silicone is RTV, room temperature vulcanizing. Basically it has resistance to temperature to a degree due to the structure of the polymerized molecules that make up aquarium grade silicone, and there is nothing in it that could freeze. I would be more concerned with the glass and the temperature fluctuation. Going from a -30 wind chill to room temperature is a sudden 100 degree variation in temperature. I would be cautious with how fast you move the tank in and out. Wear gloves, that glass is going to be wicked cold.

I'm doing the same although I'm using a truck with a cab. Figures it is going to be the coldest day of the year.

Another tank Mike?

kinda sorta, I am building out a sump room and adding a big tank to the system for more rock a deeper sandbed etc..... but by no means a DT although now that I found a decent 120 with really clean glass I will probably add a few choice fish for interest :cool: and I am hoping to add an 80 gallon or so fuge to keep the leopard wrasses and dragonette's well fed.

Great timing....coldest day so far this winter!!! :cool:

just spoke to the guy I was getting the tank from and he is fine with waiting till next weekend Phew!!!! The margin of error just goes way up when your doing stuff in the cold and looks like we are starting a nice warmup after today.

make sure you wear the gloves when carry or lifting the tank. the tank's glass can get very cold quickly and could freeze your hand especially on those rimless (no plastic trim) tank. The blanket thing that people suggested you is only to protect the tank from sliding or crashing. it will not keep your tank warm in your open pickup truck.

I am very sure that everything (bacteria and coraline/algae on the glass and tank will die. If you are going to transport any of the old tank water or livestocks, put them in a cooler, fill a few 12oz poland spring water bottles with warm or hot water and let them float in the cooler.

Last edited:
Boy oh boy am I glad I did not have to move that tank today, it's freakin cold, I had to go out to the shed to get a space heater for a neighbor who's pipes froze and just moving stuff around was painful.

yeah it is . I am struggling to keep tank temps up lol. My fish room in the basement is only 67 degrees and tank temps 74 . tossed another heater in the sump and setting up a space heater now for fish room . I am NOT going outside lol. I work in this crap all week .

Back