MrX's 120G Build

MrX

Non-member
Hey All,

Well, I took the plunge today. Not sure if it was the smartest thing I've ever done, but we'll see. :)

So far I have:

120G 48x24x24 Aqueon Dual Megaflow (oak)
Aqueon Stand (black)
Aqueon VersaTop

I thought the stand/tank were oak, the LFS had kept saying all he had was oak; I really wanted black but figured with the money I was saving I could just take time and paint them black. As I was taking the stand out of the van I noticed the "black" option was selected. Hmmm... so now I have a black stand and oak tank. Oh well, lots less to paint now. hehe.

The LFS will be getting the overflow kits in tomorrow and a Marineland LED that I might look into purchasing (once I get the model # and do some research and ask you guys/gals!).

A couple questions and then some pics:

1) The LFS has an Oceanic 2 sump kit; anyone familiar with this? Is it big enough for a 120G? I was thinking of just bulding my own with a 40G or 50G breeder.
2) Same LFS has a HYDOR S01301 Performer Skimmer... any experiences with this?
3) What return pump should I be looking at?

Once I get the plumbing and stuff in place I'll probably order rock/sand from Marco.

Thanks all!

02152012-120GPurchased1.jpg

02152012-120GPurchased2.jpg

02152012-120GPurchased3.jpg

02152012-120GPurchased4.jpg

Anyone with an Aqueon tank/stand know if the tank is suppose to sit "inside" the outer/upper trim, or directly on top of the outer/upper trim?

Just seems weird to me that the center brace is an inch or two from the bottom tank brace.

All I can picture is this thing full of water and it all collapsing. :( The stand does not inspire confidence.

Nice tank. Take it slow and enjoy the start up. Don't take short cuts or they'll come back to bite you.

Don't get the marineland LEDs. Garbage.

Marcos sand is very, very fine. If you plan on a sps tank with a ton of flow, I'd look into a larger grain sand or you'll have sandstorms all over the place.

Thanks niftyjosh. I've been reading/researching/debating for months, no reason to speed up now. :eek:)

I'd like to find something decent; mid-range that will be "good enough" but not cost me top dollar. The Radions look nice but very expensive. I'd like to go LED but I know it's still a work-in-progress with varying results. Wondering if 2 or 3, maybe even 4 of the chinese knock-offs being discussed in the other threads would be worthwhile.

Any suggestions on where else to get sand? I had read a link someone posted about deep sand beds and the suggested grain size, just couldn't remember the size. I figured Marco would be easy to get the sand/rock combo and then beg/buy some live stuff locally.

i would make your own sump it not hard and you can make it how you want it. if your closr to carver you can check out my set up or im sure some one close to you will let you check out there set up

Now that I've actually got some gear I just signed up to be a Reefers member. Be gentle. ;)

Today I purchased some black paint and a small (fine) sanding block. I've got the top trim first coat finished. Goodbye oak!

Also went back to the LFS and picked up the two megaflow fits and a 40B for my sump. Now to figure out how to configure the sump, get something to build the dividers/stand, and figure out what skimmer and pump to purchase (input appreciated!).

I've found a lead for some led lights that look pretty suit. Custom built by a guy in a WI reefers club.

Would love input on the following for my setup:

- sump layout (I'm assuming both drains go to one compartment where the skimmer is, then bubble trap, then refugium in the middle, and return on the other side)
- return pump (40G breeder under tank, standard Aqueon stand, two returns, loc-line Ys on each return)
- skimmer
- powerheads, 2 enough? I'd love the MP40s but that might be more than I want to budget right now.
- RODI?

Thanks peeps!

Pics of todays progress:

Picked up the megaflow overflow kits and a 40B for my sump
02162012-OverflowKitsAnd40BSump.jpg

Painting the oak trim black to match the stand. Top trim has two coats, waiting on the first coat on the bottom to dry.
02162012-PaintingTrim1.jpg

02162012-PaintingTrim2.jpg

Last edited:
Finished up painting the oak trim black and painted the back black as well. Just need to touch up some of the trim spots from tape removal. Also cleaned out all the dust from the tank.

021729120-TrimAndBackPainted.jpg

Ordered two 120W LED light fixtures from a fellow Reefer in WI that builds and sells them. Asking him now if I can share details/pics/etc. When I get mine in I will at least post pics of them.

Check out mark l's site with toNs of sump ideas.

http://melevsreef.com/

If you can look at some ones set up it always helps get an idea of what to do. Also look at the tab at the top of this site with the old tank of the month's. Some sweet tanks with lots of photos and writeups on how they set them up and how the maintain them.

Back