My clown fish jumped! help

ShelleyBoston

BRS Sponsor
BRS Member
So my clown fish jumped to the back of the tank, I have an IM Marine Fusion 20 and the sump chamber in located in the back part of the tank. Any ideas how to lure him back to the surface? Its nearly impossible to stick the net with the circulation pump, heather, piping, etc unless he comes to the surface. He is extremely fast and I tried some food pellets unsucessfully. Any ideas to lure him? without taking the whole tank apart?
Thanks!

There are a few tricks to getting a fish out of an overflow or sump chamber like this:

- Lower the water levels so that the fish is in a smaller space, where you can net them or grab them with your hand
- Add sand/rocks into the chamber to raise the floor up higher so the fish is more accessible to you

I would recommend trying to first, if you can drain some tank water into a bucket, get the fish out, then add the tank water back.

How big is the clown? I always had issues with mine in my 120g jumping into the corner overflows until I covered them.

The solution which always worked for me was that I created a siphon in that chamber with plastic tubing and just sucked them right out into a bucket, they went for a little ride and it didn't take much time to get them out and does not harm them.

Well the good news is that the little clown fish is back in the main tank safe. I gave up trying to catch him he is so fast! and he is a very smart little fish, this is what I did maybe it will help someone else. I took apart one of the 2 return pipes that connect the back sump and the main tank, leaving a 1/2 inch diameter or so round hole open.
I could see him peeking through the hole a few times and took him about 15 mins to figure it out how to swim right through it, the only regret is that I didn't film him doing it. It was cute how he would just stick his little head through and just peek, he is very small and I knew he would fit.

Well the good news is that the little clown fish is back in the main tank safe. I gave up trying to catch him he is so fast! and he is a very smart little fish, this is what I did maybe it will help someone else. I took apart one of the 2 return pipes that connect the back sump and the main tank, leaving a 1/2 inch diameter or so round hole open.
I could see him peeking through the hole a few times and took him about 15 mins to figure it out how to swim right through it, the only regret is that I didn't film him doing it. It was cute how he would just stick his little head through and just peek, he is very small and I knew he would fit.

Awesome job, glad to hear you were able to get him out.

Back