My DIY Carbon filter

Syris

FishboyBill
I ran across an article a few weeks back on the benefits of running carbon and the best way to do it.
http://www.pets-warehouse.com/carbon.htm + http://www.pets-warehouse.com/carbon_1.htm with the second link being the more interesting of the 2 to me.
I have always ran carbon 24/7 in a mesh bag in my sump on a tray that water flows over. But after reading the article and a few others I see that this is not the best way to do it. As quoted from the linked article "Granular activated carbon is a valuable tool for the reef hobbyist. It can play a significant role in maintaining a healthy tank. The hobby?s traditional approach to the use of carbon, however, has been misguided. Optimum use of carbon requires only periodic use. Slow circulation of water through small amounts of carbon will remove significant amounts of color."
With this in mind I built a very simple carbon filter from PVC.

List of Materials
  1. 1.25" PVC @14" long(holds about 1-2 cups of carbon, use larger dia PVC if you require more carbon capacity)
  2. 1.25" Union
  3. (2) 1.25" PVC End Caps
  4. (2) 1/4"x3/8" hose barb
  5. 3/8" ID hose
I cut the PVC to length and then PVC cemented the End Caps to the ends and the union near one end. I then drilled and tapped the sides of the end caps for the hose barbs to thread into.

CarbonFilter4-29-2004.jpg

For incoporating into my setup I "t" into my return plumping and put a gate valve in before the carbon filter to control flow.

CarbonFilter2-4-29-2004.jpg

I run a very slow flow thru it and only run it for 24hrs a week. The benefits I have seen so far are more clear water which have allowed some of my SPS to deepen in color :cool: (especially a green M. cap that has always been tan for me but is now showing some green finally). Its been in place for a few weeks now and every month I plan to replace the carbon in it. I use Marineland BlackDiamond carbon which has shown to be the best bang for your buck carbon.
I ran into some problems with carbon escaping thru the hose. But that is only happening if the flow is too high which it should not be.
If anything else I now have piece of mind that tank water is filtering thru the carbon and not around it anymore like when it was in the sump.

that pretty cool, have you thought of using a micro bag to prevent the carbon from flowing through the hose?

What a terrific idea and a terrific design. Thanks for sharing. I am on my way to Home Depot to pick up the stuff to build this baby.
Paula

How about cutting a small piece of polyfilter to go into the endcaps. That should catch any loose carbon.

The only time carbon escapes is if your flow is too high. But I may try cutting a micro mesh bag and using it over the barb ends like Richard suggested, just as a precaution.
I wont use polyfilter or any cotton filter media as that may trap too much particles and cause it to clog requiring frequent changes.

Awesome thread, Bill.
Can you get a picture of how the filter is T'ed off the system, please?

Moe,
I'll get a better pic tonight. You looking for a pic of the whole return plumbing?
If I remember sizes correctly my main return plumbing is 3/4". I used a PVC "t" that is 3/4" x 1/2". The 1/2" goes to the 1/2" gate valve and then a 1/2" female adapter. Screwed into the female adapter is a 1/2" x 3/8" barb fitting.

Picked it up at Ace Hardware. Its an adjustable pipe hanger. Back piece screws into the wood and the front piece ratchets over it. To remove the front all I have to do is squeeze the two tabs up front.

A DIY forum is a great idea!
This is a good and pretty simple project, thanks for sharing.

Heck, I think I would love a thread of just pictures of everyone's sump. Mine looks so crappy compared to this.

A long time ago, I had passignly (as typical) thought about constructing something similar to what Syris has built. This method of using GAC, in a linear plug flow through reactor, is analogous to what is done in municipal and industrial treatment processes on a larger scale. I think this is a wonderful idea, and I'm glad to see how someone turned an idea into a working process. I do disagree that flow rate through the reactor will matter, except to prevent the carbon from getting flushed out. Carbon sorbs based on the concentration of contaminant present in solution; time is not a factor because we all have closed systems.

Matt:cool:

A long time ago, I had passignly (as typical) thought about constructing something similar to what Syris has built. This method of using GAC, in a linear plug flow through reactor, is analogous to what is done in municipal and industrial treatment processes on a larger scale. I think this is a wonderful idea, and I'm glad to see how someone turned an idea into a working process. I do disagree that flow rate through the reactor will matter, except to prevent the carbon from getting flushed out. Carbon sorbs based on the concentration of contaminant present in solution; time is not a factor because we all have closed systems.

Matt:cool:

Back