my first reef tank. need help :P

~Silly~Spy

Non-member
hi guys i want to start up my first reef tank, right now all i have is a 20L, stand, coralife 2x65 watt light fixture with 10k lamps. and an ac 50 filter. all have been used for a planted freshwater tank. my questions are:
1. what eles do i need to get a tank up and running besides a powerhead?
2. do i need a protein skimmer on such a small tank?
3. can i successfully run a reef tank on a ac 50 or do i need to change my filter?
4. should i use crushed coral or sand as my substrate?

any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks for looking

1. what eles do i need to get a tank up and running besides a powerhead?
2. do i need a protein skimmer on such a small tank?
3. can i successfully run a reef tank on a ac 50 or do i need to change my filter?
4. should i use crushed coral or sand as my substrate?

1- You could get another small powerhaed for added flow, trying get a turbulent pattern. Make sure you have enough live rock, that will be the "filter" that will take care of your waste. The less waste/poop and fewer fish you have, the easier everything is.
2-Could hurt, and it seems to let your tank be a wee bit more forgiving since it has large organic being removed 24/7. If you do get one, make sure you clean it regularly, like every week or 2, a clean skimmer operates so much more efficiently when compared to a dirty one.
3- You could keep the filter to use it to run carbon, that's changed monthly. But don't use any filter media, IMO, other than carbon.
4- IMO, argonite substrate. Coarse media or sand is your preference.

Make sure you read some stuff on alkalinity and calcium, you'll need to maintain a certain chemistry and regular dosing with alk and calcium is reccommended.
Start slow, let everything cycle and don't overstock with fish.
Best of luck.
Matt

29 would be better... i have a 29 as my main tank and a 20l as a softie tank... i would always run a skimmer..and i have crushed coral and sand as my substrate....i have only sand in my 20L and i have alot more sand storms with the sane only .....the crushed coral is a bit bigger and heavier so i dont get as much of a storm....but a nice mix is key...

the larger the tank the easer i started with a 55 gallon tank it costs a little bit more but it is easer to control the salinity and the temp.

Yes, a 29 would be a little bigger, and allow you to keep more 'stuff', but you can have a great reef tank in a 20L as well. I had a 20H set up for a couple years and it was extremely rewarding and easy to care for.

If you're pretty handy I'd recommend making a pneumatic top off system, it will allow the tank to be left unattended for longer. FWIW, I left my 20 gallon nano unattended for over 5 days more than once without problems.

I may be the minority here, but after having both a small and large tank I think the small tanks are much easier to maintain. Yes, they're a little more finicky with salinity etc... but so easily corrected :)

Check out www.nano-reef.com It's a website dedicated to nano tanks. Lots of good reading there!

Oh, one more thing, those AC500 filters make great refugiums!

Steve

Back