Name that snail!

THanks! Maybe B will ship one to you.. :D

Hey, just found this cool website that talks a little about them...http://www.creefs.org/lifeOnTheReef/

It says the shell is transparent and that the pattern you see is on it's body. Very cool.

Last edited:
That link says they graze on red algae on the reef...does that mean it's a red slime algae eater? If so, B better order tons!!!!

That link says they graze on red algae on the reef...does that mean it's a red slime algae eater? If so, B better order tons!!!!
Red slime is typically cyanobacteria, so I don't think it will touch it. Very cool critter... Keep this thread updated with his progress - it would be a great addition to the the cleanup regime. I'm half-tempted to setup a tank to attempt to breed these guys. :D

$1.99 at liveaquaria

Harlequin Bubble Sea Slug
(Haminoea cymbalum)

Quick Stats
Minimum Tank Size: 10 gallon
Care Level: Moderate
Tank Conditions: 72-78?F; sg 1.023-1.025; pH 8.1-8.4; dKH 8-12
Max. Size In Aquarium: Up to 1"
Color Form: Green, Orange, Purple
Temperament: Peaceful
Reef Compatible: Yes
Diet: Herbivore
Origin: Tonga
Family: Haminaeidae

The Harlequin Bubble Sea Slug, or Cymbal Bubble Sea Slug, may also be referred to as the Harlequin Bubble Nudibranch although it is not a true nudibranch. This very beautiful shelled sea slug is characterized by its bright orange spots and purple markings on a translucent green body. Occasionally, the orange spots or purple markings may be absent but it is still identifiable by its body shape. These slugs are reef safe, and are an excellent addition to a saltwater reef or fish aquarium.
It is typically uncommon, but when found it occurs in large groups in tropical seas. It will do well in an aquarium, if provided with ample room to forage. It prefers an aquarium with live rock so that it can graze on algae. Its diet consists of filamentous algae and unicellular algal film, which it grinds using toothed plates. It can be harmed by pump intakes and drains, so care should be taken to screen these off. It is sensitive to high levels of nitrate and will not tolerate copper-based medications.

Approximate Purchase Size: 1/4" - 3/4"

Hey, one of my little guys has developed deep purple spots! This is really pretty..
P1050315crrs.jpg

P1050337crrs.jpg

Now what I would like to know is "Does anyone else know about this color-change?" And "Has anyone else experienced this?"

No, unfortunately the powerheads got them all. They aren't the smartest snails I've ever encountered. Every single one ended up dead on the maxijet intakes. :mad: I didn't think to put a foam cover over the intakes until it was too late.

It's too bad, too - They were like little jewels in my tank. I loved having them in there. In less than a week, they were all gone.

I would highly recommend them to anyone, but if you do get them, don't make the same mistake I did. :(

Last edited:
Back