Need advice for red bugs and Bayer

GobyWanKenobie

BRS Member
I've discovered red bugs on a couple of my acros. I've done some research, but I keep getting different results. Here are my questions: (1) Do I dip just the frags I know have bugs or should I dip all my acros? (2) What amount should I use? I've read everything from 1 ml/cup to 15 ml/cup. I'm thinking about doing 5 ml/cup. (3) How long should I dip? I'm thinking 10 minutes. (4) How many treatments should I do and at what interval?

If anyone has experience, please let me know what you did. Thanks.

When I had them I pulled every acro from the tank and had them set up in one of the back tanks. Then every week for a month I filled a plastic tub with tank water and put the coral in there with a small pump for circulation I did it at about 5-8 ml per cup of water and for about 30 mins. I lost 1 small piece during this it was a tyree pink lemonade which I was told doesn't like the Bayer treatment.

Leaving the tank acro free is important ( I've been told) as they lay eggs at the base of the coral not on them so a life cycle needs to complete. I never researched this however and cannot speak to its validity.

Milbemycin oxime is what kills red bugs. It's the active ingredient in some medicines but most require a prescription so we can leave that alone for a bit because you're not allowed to discuss that stuff. :)

Milbemycin oxime is what kills red bugs. It's the active ingredient in some medicines but most require a prescription so we can leave that alone for a bit because you're not allowed to discuss that stuff. :)

Which is interceptor. I'm unaware of any generic version. Sentinel ( also made by Novartis) has milbemycin as an active but also has other actives as it's billed as an all in one med.
I've read of some vets willing to prescribe for reef keepers as an "off-label" prescription. There was a thread about it on rc. My vet many years ago was against it but when her son got involved in the hobby was more open to the discussion though I never asked directly as we had different size scripts for interceptor for both dogs. Now I have iverheart though.

Why am I not allowed to discuss that stuff? Just out of curiosity.

cilyjr, what do I do about the sps that is encrusted onto the rocks? So far they don't show any bite marks, but I can really only see these things with a strong magnifying glass so who knows. The in tank treatment sounds more effective except for having to remove my inverts and probably my mandarin. Sometimes I think this hobby just isn't worth it. :(

I went through red bugs a few years ago and I treated the entire tank. I managed to get the interceptor at a vet back then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do not believe the issue is discussing.

The issue is more related to the offering to buy, sell or trade a controlled substance.

Does that help put a perspective on it?

I am sure someone will correct me or add to the answer.

Which is interceptor. I'm unaware of any generic version. Sentinel ( also made by Novartis) has milbemycin as an active but also has other actives as it's billed as an all in one med.
I've read of some vets willing to prescribe for reef keepers as an "off-label" prescription. There was a thread about it on rc. My vet many years ago was against it but when her son got involved in the hobby was more open to the discussion though I never asked directly as we had different size scripts for interceptor for both dogs. Now I have iverheart though.

Why am I not allowed to discuss that stuff? Just out of curiosity.

Yup, we cannot allow the discussion of illegal activity. If you can find a way to get it legally (like talking your vet into perscribing it) then it's no problem.

Discussing how to get it, or trading it illegallly is a no go. If you cannot perscribe legally, then you can't sell or trade it legally.

We do know that some people have gotten it legally through vets, so discussing the use of it is fine.

I think the in tank treatment is the best way to go. It does hurt your pods but they recover. You should remove the shrimp and crabs though because they may not make it although i've seen some of them make it through.

Talk to your Vet, I think most are understanding of it anymore. The new Sentinel works just the same.

hand full of years ago I was able to find a vet that still had some. They are usually willing to listen. You just basically have to let them know that it is a reef tank treatment. Sometimes back up with documentation (show them articles) and they will usually help you out. Interceptor is the only in tank treatment that I know of.

Yup, we cannot allow the discussion of illegal activity. If you can find a way to get it legally (like talking your vet into perscribing it) then it's no problem.

Discussing how to get it, or trading it illegallly is a no go. If you cannot perscribe legally, then you can't sell or trade it legally.

We do know that some people have gotten it legally through vets, so discussing the use of it is fine.

Good I'm glad to hear this. When I was told that someone would shut down a thread for discussing off label drug use possibilities I was unhappy an a long time paying member of the society.The discussion is not against any laws for a consumer. Novartis cannot premote it's use other then a quick mention in a commercial. That is against the law. As well as someone offering to sell a tab.

Thanks for the clarification. And sorry for going off track.

Barb,
I agree the I tank treatment is a good way to go that being said both have drawbacks. When you treat the tank you have have to do it several time over a month ( I've seen most do it 3) to make sure the eggs hatch and die. Also the issue with pods, shrimp and snails dying off.

With removal and treatment you have to kill any encrusted acro left in the display. This was easy for me as it was recent after my crash I had redbugs. I just used aquamend and putties over the few areas where there was some encrustation. were I having to do it now it would a far bigger problem.

I got them even though I dipped. I used to dip a mix of interceptor and coral rx. The problem was I dipped for about 20 min. Coral rx will not kill redbugs and interceptor needs hours of exposure to get them all.

I dip in Revive and qt as well. Apparently, something slipped by, probably eggs. I have Sentinel and an expired box of Interceptor from 2008, but the thought of catching all my shrimp is not appealing. Also, since red bugs are a type of copepod, I'm assuming my mandarin's meal will die as well. I think I'm going to start with the Bayer while I set up a temporary tank, that hopefully, I won't need. This isn't devastating, just a pita. Now, I think I've had every pest and problem one can get while reefing. You'd think by now I'd have a beautiful tank, but no, just a lot of experience. lol

Check Petco when they have luv my pet clinic. Which is usually sat or sun depending on your area I just to buy individual Interceptor tabs or pack of six.

I've discovered red bugs on a couple of my acros. I've done some research, but I keep getting different results. Here are my questions: (1) Do I dip just the frags I know have bugs or should I dip all my acros? (2) What amount should I use? I've read everything from 1 ml/cup to 15 ml/cup. I'm thinking about doing 5 ml/cup. (3) How long should I dip? I'm thinking 10 minutes. (4) How many treatments should I do and at what interval?
If anyone has experience, please let me know what you did. Thanks.

In tank medication is very effective. However, Interceptor is a PITA to find. Sentinal seem to work for some people. You will lose all your crustaceans(Pods, crabs, shrimps)
I would do the Bayer dipping method even if it means I have to move some rock around to get the sps out. Not only it will kill the red bugs, it will kill AEFW and other pests on the sps.
1)Dip all your SPS including your montiporas
2)15ml per cup. Can go to 20ml per cup
3)15minutes to 30minutes
4)After everything is dip. DO NOT PUT IN THE TANK! the residual Bayer from all the acros(if you have a lot) will be enough to kill your fish. Set up a Quarantine and monitor them for the next two weeks. Repeat 1-4. After two Bayer bath, the sps should be free of pests.

Back