Need advice for red bugs and Bayer

It is better to ask and attain an answer. Plus just the discussion educates everyone else as to what can and cannot be discussed.

The DEA would love nothing more than written proof to back up their legal case.

Good I'm glad to hear this. When I was told that someone would shut down a thread for discussing off label drug use possibilities I was unhappy an a long time paying member of the society.The discussion is not against any laws for a consumer. Novartis cannot premote it's use other then a quick mention in a commercial. That is against the law. As well as someone offering to sell a tab.

Thanks for the clarification. And sorry for going off track.

Last edited:
I treated my tank 8 months ago for red bugs using the directions on the link below.
http://www.melevsreef.com/node/655
It was very easy to do the treatment and the bugs are gone since then. No problem at all for fish or corals.

Did you lose all your shrimp? I have a fire shrimp and probably 4/5 peppermints in there. That's my biggest concern with the Interceptor/Sentinel treatment. I recently did my first Bayer treatment. I pulled everything off the rock, dipped, and rinsed 6 times. Only a few of my sps had bugs, but they were really stubborn. They just wouldn't let go. I'll do 2 more treatments and hope for the best. Oddly enough, my qt frag tank doesn't have any.

Before I did the treatment, I removed the shrimps. After you're done with the whole treatment and run carbon to remove the medication, you can reintroduce the shrimps.

Did you lose all your shrimp? I have a fire shrimp and probably 4/5 peppermints in there. That's my biggest concern with the Interceptor/Sentinel treatment. I recently did my first Bayer treatment. I pulled everything off the rock, dipped, and rinsed 6 times. Only a few of my sps had bugs, but they were really stubborn. They just wouldn't let go. I'll do 2 more treatments and hope for the best. Oddly enough, my qt frag tank doesn't have any.

Use a turkey baster to propel them off the acro after the bayer treatment. Make sure you scrape off all the encrusting on the rock. Otherwise, it's a useless effort.

Back