Need help change over from CC to LS

pvh

Non-member
OK...a week ago I got some live sand and was thinking about changing my CC to LS. I had the sand in a bucket for about a week with no heat or circulation. I finally got some time to put the sand in new tank and it really smells. This is bad right? Can I use the sand or do I have to let it cycle before I transfer my livestocks into this new tank? Or should I just keep my CC? I really want to change over to LS but I don't know the proper way to make this transition. Plus my param is good and I don't want to mess it up either.

I know a lot of you upgrade to a larger tank, what do you do first? How do you add the extra amount of water and sand to the larger tank without shocking the livestocks?

did you buy the sand new or from someone? you're putting it into a new tank set-up? if the send is from someone else and you let it sit around for a bit unheated, then it probably has lots of dead little "things" (for a lack of a better term right now) in it. my opinion, not good, let it cycle for a while....how big is the up grade...if it is new sand you will still most likely want to cycle the tank....i can't see setting up a new tank with new sand and thinking it will be ready to go for livestock right away. a month worth of cycling would or should be good, you will still need to monitore peramitors and such. the time spoent now will only be better for you later.

this is all just an opinion though, just take your time

I got this from someone's established tank. I'm thinking of upgrading my 29g to my 55g tank and while I'm at it change over to LS.

what type of tank is it....reef or fish only? not that it really matters to make sure that things are cycled be for you really start to inhabit the tank. is the 55 going in a different spot that the 29 is now? if so, set it up and get things running. use the sand and add a couple pieces of live rock from your 29. let it run for a week and see how things look. do you have all the equipment you need to run the 55? a skimmer and sump and things? i would suggest a skimmer for the tank before you set it up....it should help with the dead things.

like i said before, just take it slow

I want to use the same equipments from my 29g. I just want to change the tank. How should I go about doing it? If I put the existing 29g of water into the 55g I would need to add 26g of water more. Is it ok/safe to add this amount of new water? Will it affect my livestocks and param?

I want to know what steps/preparation most people do when they upgrade to a bigger tank?

Also what should I do if I want to change to LS?

Back