Need help from someone that has a etss 800

EriksminiReef

Non-member
Ok imy tank has been up and running now for 6 weeks everything is running great :D no problems water changes every week. just haven one big problem :mad: i can not get my protien skimmer to stay working i have done everything everyone said. i need help bad and fast i want to start putting more fish, plants and rock work but before i put all this money in the tank i want to make sure the skimmer is working right. someone please help me.

it is out of sump the water level in my sumpis a little above the bottom of the skimmer base.

I don't have the 800 but have had a few experiences with etss skimmers having owned a few....

First question would be what pump your using ( always use the best performance pump ), second would be how many balls in the downdraft tube, third is the venturi clogged? last but not least etss skimmers work best when used with at least the gate valve above the water level.......

I don't have that exact skimmer, but I have run a downdraft in the past.

What exactly is not working, or rather how is it working poorly? Please describe in more detail......

Is that sump depth stable, or does is fluxuate with evaporation? What kind of pump are you using to feed it and how is that set up? What's your S.G.?

Edit, added; Yea, Chew types faster than I do :)

ok it has a mag 12 with rubber hose on it what the person before me was using and had no problem. and can't get a hole of because got out of hobbie and movied.

there are i think 11 bio balls in each side.
i have run stuff thur the venturi to make sure clean nothing there
the sump depth is stable unless i turn the pump off. only the middle on my sump moves up and down.

also it will make a little junk and then stop maken junk and will be nothing but problems to gt it tomake a little more then does it again. it has all the junk built u on it from running i just don't get why it is doing what it is.

Last edited:
Actually that sounds pretty normal.

Most skimmers can be at least somewhat inconsistent. Putting your hands in the tank, feeding, and other things can make skimmer foam collapse. Sometimes it's just on and off for no apparent reason.

Skimmer tuning can be a PITA....

it is just not maken me happy everyone says it will maek a lot of foam your lucky if it has made a cup of junk since running
my other taqnk i had with a prizum made more then what this one has made.

22 balls per tower according to etss website also 600 to 900 gph you may have to much flow and not enough bio balls

Last edited:
i will have to go get some tomorrow and try that. some one had told me wha i had was fine but i just looked and it does say that. so i am going to try that and see what happens. anyone willing to coem look at it can.

Etss recommends a Iwaki 55 for the Etss 800, so your mag 12 is way under rated to drive that skimmer. As mentioned before you need a few more bio balls too

doesn't a iwaki pump 1080gph and a mag 12 pump 1200gph. and i am going to go pic up some tomorrow after work to add to it.

doesn't a iwaki pump 1080gph and a mag 12 pump 1200gph. and i am going to go pic up some tomorrow after work to add to it.

Mag Pumps stink as skimmer pumps they are not pressure rated and can not handle the head pressure needed to run the skimmer. The Mag is likely not putting out half off what the Iwaki would. If you use the same rated GenX pump a GenX PCX 40 you would not only get the correct pump size but it would use around half the electricity of the Mag 12. The GenX is also much cheaper than a Iwaki at around $120

check the bioballs first see what that does the pump may be ok i thought the mag 12 was 1200 gph depends on how far from pump to top of skimmer if it is to much flow you cuold put a ball valve and cut it down some

Have a ETSS 900w/ blueline 55 HD pump working beautifully with very little adjusting nor maintenance.
1.best when outflow is above sump water level
2. Pump must be matched to unit. When flow through top nozzle is correct water will begin to foam even before it hits the balls. Pressure is critical!
3. Water level in bottom box not higher than top of base box, controlled by gate valve that comes with the unit some have gotten away with an inch over into the clear barrel did not work well for me.
4 My BIO Balls 50% to 65% high in column.
5. Etss Support very good and helpful Contact
845-838-9044

Last edited:
check the bioballs first see what that does the pump may be ok i thought the mag 12 was 1200 gph depends on how far from pump to top of skimmer if it is to much flow you cuold put a ball valve and cut it down some

There is no comparison between these two pumps, the mag 12 does't even come close to the output of the Iwaki 40. You might get away with a iwaki 40or equivilent but I doubt you will be driving that skimer with a mag 12 with any decent results. The few missing bio balls wouldn't effect the skimmer performance that much

i want to start putting more fish, plants and rock work

What do you have in there already? If you don't have much bioload you won't get much skimate. The ETSS really takes a couple hours after feeding or putting your hands in the tank to start producing any foam.

I run a etss 900 with a genx40 as delta references. Runs my skimmer fine. If you are not getting enough bubbles, removing a few balls helps, but taking out too many also hurts performance. You need to be patient when dialing them in. I agree, forget the mag12, too tiny.

Last edited:
ok i am going to try the balls just for the h!!! of it. if that doesn't work i am screwed because i can't put a out of sump pump on now there are no holes in my sump for one. if i can't get this to work i am willing to trade anyone for a protien skimmer that i can put under my tank and will work a lot better for me. that will skimme enough too. and i know you can never have enough skimme.

What do you have in there already? If you don't have much bioload you won't get much skimate. The ETSS really takes a couple hours after feeding or putting your hands in the tank to start producing any foam.

This is what I was thinking - tank up for 6 weeks shouldn't have much macrolife in it, and your efficient skimmer might just be having natural ebb and flow of skimmate production with very little waste left to skim.

Back