NEED HELP!! Tanks leaking

BiGGiePauls33

Current BRS President
Staff member
Officer
BRS Member
My 44 pentagon has a small leak in the front. Tank has livestock in it. The leak is about a pin hole in size. Water is running down the front. Needed some suggestions. Can I put some kind of sealer on it till I find another tank? Thanks.

How far down is the leak?
Glass tank, acrylic? You could try some caulking

If it's on a seal it may mean the caulking is aging & may start leaking more
How old is the tank?

Can you find exactly where the leak is? Glass or acrylic?

This is a long shot, but sometimes with glass tanks, if the water level is up a bit high, and the silicone seal on the top trim isn't perfect, water can seep out (over the glass, under the trim) and you'll see a bit of water running down the glass.

Solution - simply drop the water level a little bit.

If it's an acrylic tank and the leak is up high, you can probally drop the water level and seal the damaged area with a bit of weldon #16. It'll have to cure overnight, and the repair will look a bit messy, but it would most likely work.

If it's a glass tank, the same repair may work, just use silicone sealer instead of weldon. Either way, you'll need to use powerheads or something to maintain circulation in the tank while the water level is dropped overnight.

If the leak is up high, you might be able to drain down a little way, then seal the leak with silicone. You'd need to keep the water level low for a day until the silicone cures well. If you just put an airstone into the tank things might be okay for 24 hours depending upon how you have the tank set up. FWIW, I have a 44 Pent at work I purchased used from someone. I didn't feel comfortable with the thin silione on the front seams. I resealed the whole thing before I filled the tank.

leaking tank

hi, guys thanks for all the advice. i had a 45 gallon rectangular tank in the basement. i just used that but during the transfer of everything i lost some softies. thanks again, paul paja4

Back