Need help with Clam placement

gordonzoo

Non-member
We'll along with a slew of other stock, I picked up what I think identified to be a Crocea Clam. A beautiful Blue or Green depending on angle of view. Being I'm still running T-5's, I need to keep him close to the top but still in a bed of sand (I understand). We?ll I have the bright idea of digging out a crevice on the underside of my larger rocks that has a nice bowl shape. Well, what I thought looked solid wasn?t, The sand sifted right through LOL. So for now I just have him topside in a plastic container filled with sand and he dug right in. Is there any creative way I can place this guy in a way looks more natural. Has anyone seen containers that look like rocks? Maybe I?m off base, Is a sand bed even necessary for a happy clam? By the way Dawn, The Anemones you traded me have tripled in Size in the last month.
Rich

Maximas and especially croceas should be placed on rock work not on sand as this is their natural habitat. Croceas actually release an acidic solution to break down the rock and help them burrow into it. You are fine without the sand, just place high up close to the lights.

That is great news!!! I'll take pics tonight for the veterans to verify that is actually a Crocea Clam. I spent a bit of time looking thru pics and it is the closest match I could find to color and shape. I also read it secretes an acid to mount itself. I wonder why I see so many clams in a sand beds :confused:
Rich

they like to attach to something so you can bury a rock or shell under the sand and they will burrow 'til they attach. Then you can move them anywhere you want on the rocks. Depending on the depth of your tank, I would put them mid tank on the rocks.

I would recomend getting a flat rock that will fit up high in your rockwork. Place him on the rock in the sand on the bottom with sand around him to support him. Once he attaches, then move him and the rock up into the rockwork closer to the lights. Clams tumbling off the rockwork or ataching in an aquard place are a pia and could be bad news to the tank.

EDIT : Curses, foiled again with my damn slow typing.

Back